Miller W.A.R. Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
    ... and an e60 M5 was in just the other week with a destroyed engine after going through a puddle.
    How deep was the puddle?? He sure didn't have a PSIK :p

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
      uhh.... That's not how it works. You only need a few teaspoons in a cylinder to blow it up. Think about how little space there is between the combustion chamber crown and the piston at TDC. Fill up that space with water (which cannot be compressed) and you'll literally blow either your valves out of their guides or your piston out the side of your block. There's nowhere for the water to go, so something has to give.

I used to work at a BMW dealership, saw it happen more times than I care to think about. A lot of new Minis have that problem, and an e60 M5 was in just the other week with a destroyed engine after going through a puddle.
      Well sir, then I suggest you abandon BMW and buy a fiesta:
      Jeremy Clarkson participates in a Navy beach attach / assault!!Thanks to D4K44R1 for giving this to me.Extra Tags:Top Gear Beach Assault Attack Air Force Nav...

Seems they can be temporarily submerged.

Seriously, think about how much vacuum it'll actually take to pull water the full vertical length of the PSIK. I bet I can tell you how many inches of WC it'll take if you tell me how long the intake is.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
      Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Is there still no chance of you selling a raw tube/sheild without the maf kit? my intake is one of the worst parts of my engine (the filter is fine, but I don't have a shield). and it looks like I could use the fog hole to duct air straight at the filter.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The problem is entirely resolved and avoided when mounting a cold air intake that draws from such a low level on the vehicle by installing a bypass coupler, I believe AEM or some similar tuner part manufacturer ells cheap ones.

It's simply a coupler, like a silicone coupler, which installs higher up in the intake pipe so that should the filter become submerged fully in water, the pressure created in the intake trying to vacuum up that water into the engine causes the valve to open alloing the engine to breathe through the filter around the coupler.

I have seen a video on streetfire or somewhere similar of an nsx with piping run off the intake and the pipe submerged into a 100gal tank of water witht he engine running at 3/4k rpm or so to prove the effectiveness of the device.

It's a simple and intelligent moification that makes such a catastropic event impossible.

However simply ingesting misted water won't destroy or even damage your engine, it takes a briefly sustained full submersion of the intakes pickup to draw in and injest a damaging amount of fluid. You can run an intake out the front bumper or hood of a vehicle and drive around in rain all day without issues, the issues becomes a filter mounted under the engine/bumper area which is dunked in a huge standing body of water.

The bypass valves are like a $25/50 thing, cheap insurance for anyone interested.

Comment

yes but where to put it...

edit: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...94959344&Nty=0
            Last edited by NC325iC; 01-05-2011, 09:17 PM.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
            Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Can this be used on a eta engine? If so are the results for overall performance better than just using a MarkD or TMS chip?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike30e View Post
                Can this be used on a eta engine? If so are the results for overall performance better than just using a MarkD or TMS chip?
                your results depend on your ability to tune
                Brian Jacobs

Comment

your results depend on your ability to tune
                  Well, I've never done any tuning in this manner, so with someone who knows what they are doing how much of a difference can this set up make on the eta? Anyone with an eta using this?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike30e View Post
                    Well, I've never done any tuning in this manner, so with someone who knows what they are doing how much of a difference can this set up make on the eta? Anyone with an eta using this?
                    with someone that knows what they are doing I would guess peak HP would gain more than 2 but less than 10. however it is more conceivable to have more useable power and a better AFR. My car has near perfect AFR at WOT from 2500 RPM to 7000 RPM, you will not get that on any pre burned chip not made for your specific car with your specific mods.
                    Brian Jacobs

Comment

Originally posted by briansjacobs View Post
                      with someone that knows what they are doing I would guess peak HP would gain more than 2 but less than 10. however it is more conceivable to have more useable power and a better AFR. My car has near perfect AFR at WOT from 2500 RPM to 7000 RPM, you will not get that on any pre burned chip not made for your specific car with your specific mods.
                      whats do you mean by a perfect AFR?
                      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Air Fuel Ratio
                        Brian Jacobs

Comment

I think he means what AFR numbers do you see.

Comment

At WOT we acheive 12.3 constant from 3000 RPM to my shift point of 6300 RPM with a few points higher and lower 2500 RPM-7000 RPM. With that said we have many many hours of dyno time and my mechanic is an SCCA national run offs champion who's shop is mostly race car prep.
                            Brian Jacobs

Comment

wow man that seems extremely rich but if you dyned it.
                              Is that for max power or some sort of safety net?

Comment

lean blows motors! this for us is the perfect mix of performance and safety/longevity.

if you have been WOT and heard the baby rattler you aim for the 12's
                                Brian Jacobs

Comment

Working...
                                X