Megasquirt Timing and Fuel Map Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joegreen02 View Post
    Yeah I've been running the 284 on stock injectors for nearly a year running great. Almost regret going to MS actually. I thought I would get more out of it out of the box. I mean Turner motor sports makes a chip that drops in and performs great. Thinking I'll go back to that and leave it.
    Megasquirt is much more capable than a chip. Spend that money on a tuner that knows what they're doing and you'll enjoy megasquirt a lot more. Or learn to tune it yourself
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
      Megasquirt is much more capable than a chip. Spend that money on a tuner that knows what they're doing and you'll enjoy megasquirt a lot more. Or learn to tune it yourself

Know a good one? I'm talking to a couple but I'm reluctant to pull the trigger gonna send a guy the maps I have developed that actually run decent and through a little coin to see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Know a good one? I'm talking to a couple but I'm reluctant to pull the trigger gonna send a guy the maps I have developed that actually run decent and through a little coin to see what happens

+1 on spending money on a tuner. You should use one that’s familiar with MS otherwise it could be a waste of money. There are remote tuners but you can’t tune advance without a dyno.

MS is powerful but also a PITA.

Comment

Well I'm taking her to mission texas Friday to have it dyno tuned NA for the moment until I decide if I want to slap this SC on it or not. We will see how everything goes with the na tune first[emoji2369]

Comment

PM me. I'm happy to get you up and running so you're not spending so much with a tuner. If you are are seeing 10:1 AFRs but it's running, you're half way there
            '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
            NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
            Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
              PM me. I'm happy to get you up and running so you're not spending so much with a tuner. If you are are seeing 10:1 AFRs but it's running, you're half way there

Well I'm currently in Houston at a rig managers meeting. I'll be home Friday. It does run.and not bad but 10's are rich as fuhh and I'm sure I'll see good results on the dyno. The guys got great reviews

Comment

If you set your AFR target table properly I found the auto tune in tuner studio to be awesome. Still requires fine tuning and you have to keep an eye on it, but you just turn it on and start driving around. Within about 30mins my brother and I had my car "tuned" to start, drive, idle quite good with reasonable AFRs across the board.

The difficulty i think in DIY tuning comes when trying to sort out the air temp correction and acceleration enrichment. Lots of trial and error. Well and ignition timing, but thats a whole other story.
                Last edited by e30davie; 04-09-2019, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                  Lots of trial and error. Well and ignition timing, but thats a whole other story.

This!

Buy the best version of Tuner Studio, too.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                    If you set your AFR target table properly I found the auto tune in tuner studio to be awesome. Still requires fine tuning and you have to keep an eye on it, but you just turn it on and start driving around. Within about 30mins my brother and I had my car "tuned" to start, drive, idle quite good with reasonable AFRs across the board.

The difficulty i think in DIY tuning comes when trying to sort out the air temp correction and acceleration enrichment. Lots of trial and error. Well and ignition timing, but thats a whole other story.

The problem is I don't currently know what setting the afr table properly would look like. I have tried making several changes to the afr table and ve tables I have the car idling smooth and right where I want it. Blip the throttle and it will not hesitate to Rev to the 6300 limiter I have set for it. Pulls hard from a start to around 5k then starts a little missing cutting out and will not reach that limiter at all running through the gears. 5500 is as fast as it will turn then the cutting out/missing becomes too much for it to make any usable power. I Run the tooth logger and I'm not seeing any of the issues with the CPS as is described in the mega manual or diys manual for possible weak crank reference signal. I opened the box and turned the screw several full turns and I don't see any tooth logger or combination logger changes at all. Does anyone know how many turns that little screw actually has? I can put my OG dme in there with the JC tune and it will rip to the Rev limiter without any issue at all and run golden and fast as fuhh. I found a timing table online to work with that actually feels spot on, with it on the ms2 it feels almost twice as quick to 5k as the dme with turners chip. Although any manipulation of it above 5k makes no positive or negative change in the missing over 5k issue. I'm also currently running the tuner studio ultra. I'm not sure if that's the fanciest one you can get. I'll buy what ever though. We will see what happens Friday morning. I'll post the dyno pulls and if we discover the issue I'll be sure to post that as well

Last edited by Joegreen02; 04-10-2019, 05:38 AM.

Comment

It sounds like all of your issues is because you have not tuned the car at all. You can't download some base map and expect your car to run properly on it.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                        It sounds like all of your issues is because you have not tuned the car at all. You can't download some base map and expect your car to run properly on it.

Yeah I was thinking maybe squirt wasn't getting a good signal from the crank sensor. We will see friday

Comment

If you don't have any sync loss, it's not the CPS. It's probably breaking up because it's untuned.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                            If you don't have any sync loss, it's not the CPS. It's probably breaking up because it's untuned.

I gotcha. Yeah honestly like I said, I'm not terribly familiar with tuning. I thought since I paid a grand for the mspnp2 system it would come out of the box with a tune similar to what Turner Motorsport did with the chip, and the car would run even better and be custom tunable out of the box. My miss perception of the product is all.

Comment

if I wanted to see how my injectors are running using megalog viewer would the correct plot to be looking at be pulse width and duty cycle1?

Comment

On the dyno this morning. Everything went pretty good. This guy at sanoli performance Edward is the real thing. Definitely knows his MS and making power. I brought it in on the tune I had running and put down. 123 hp on the initial pull. He did a little tweeting and boom 148 hp 157 trq he kept fooling around with it till he wound up at 153hp 167 trq. Pretty respectable for a mostly stock car I think. [emoji2369]

Problem. The missing above 5k is still there. He thought it was fuel cut and recommended doing the injectors and a 255 pump. I have the walbro 255 in the tank now but still have the missing issue over 5k

Question. How do I properly check the action and sync of this crank sensor? I have a brand spanking new bmw cps in the car now about to start pissing with the injectors.

Just FYI my goal for the car is 250 hp and close to 300 trq at the wheels via FI once I have these little issues settled and decide what size turbo I really need for my style of shenanigans

Second question how much turn out of that screw in the blue box can I expect to make a difference in cps sensitivity. When I was messing with it before I couldn't get it to lose or gain anything on the tooth logger[emoji2369]

Comment

Working...
                                X