Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Touring M54 swap nightmare

Hello guys,

first of all I want to say hello to everybody since Im totaly new here. I always had the dream of a powerful E30, and a few months ago i found online a E30 Touring swapped with a M54B30 engine for sale. I bought the car well knowing that there are a lot of things to do. But slowly slowly it starts to be a nightmare.

What i already did:
    - New coilovers MTS
    - E46 steering rack conversation with Servopump
    - Changed the top gasked and oil filter housing gasket
    - Opened the diff and put nex gasket and sealant
    - Bought new wheels

My current issue is the exhaust setup, its a total waste, looks like it is the original one from the 330i donor cor plugget and weldet under the car in somehow.
    My question to you experienced guys is the following:
    - Would an E30 M3 Exhaust work under my car? Its an aftermarket system with 50mm twin pipes.
    - Would it be better to buy for example the drift shop E36 full exhaust system and fit it under the car?

Let me explain, Im not a meccanic, its more passion for me, i do have a budy that can weld, but we would never be able to build an exhaust, so the easierst option would be prefered.

I already went to a exhaust builder in my region, but they are asking me 1500€ for just the piping connecting to the original E46 muffler that is already on the car... and I really dont like that design.

Any feedback appreciated.

Greetings from Italy
    Attached Files

Almost any reasonably priced exhaust for a swap is going to pieced together from two different cars.

What is it you don't like about this one? It doesn't look that bad to me.

Comment

In fairness, a stock fitment M20B25 system adapted to whatever exhaust manifold and downpipe setup you have will be fine for a stock M54.

That said, you will still have to adapt it since there is probably nothing out there that will actually bolt on considering all of the swap variables.

Comment

Supersprint has twin cam bolt on exhaust?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Hi,

it is way worse than it seems, its touching everywere. The muffler is touching the diff, and infront its touching the heatshield.... also the muffler is ugly because its the original E46 design. Long story short, to much work to do, so i would rather prefer to change it completely since I had to take it off anyway due to the rework of the Diff. Attached a picture, then your will understand =)
          You are aware if the E30 M3 exhaust hangs under the Touring chassi without issues? Is it the same pipe routing? That woudl mean that we just have to connect the collector to the flange from the M3... woudl be less work. also I think the 2" diameter would be enaugh for the engine.

Supersprint has a full system i know, but that requires to buy collectors, mid pipe and muffler, i think its rounf about 2500-3000 total.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by julianholzner; 02-11-2022, 01:38 AM.

Comment

So guys, an update, i picked up a used FK full exhaust system coming from a E30 M3 1987. Now i will have to see how to connect it to the my ebay headers. Anyone knows the part number of the rear muffler holders that are welded on the m3 chassis?

Comment

Anyone has an idea where the original m3 exhaust hangs on? I mean the supports on the body? Because seems that my e30 chassis does not have the same supports, so i need to get the M3 once and weld them on the chassis. The issue is only that i can't find what I need. Like on the pics, 7+4 is clear, and i suppose that 7 is srewed on the rear axle/diff holder? But 08+11 is hanging somewere and i cant find that part? anyone help out there?
              Attached Files

Comment

2 on subframe, 1 on chassis in the middle of spare wheel well and trunk side pocket.

STD E30 has better mounting. I’d try and use the E30 muffler hangers if they fit the muffler.

If not expand or cut down, weld.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

on the subframe (the diff holder) i have only one hanger point (see picture) therefore i need to weld on a second hanger for the m3 exhaust (and i dont get it which one it is to weld on).... on the muffler i agree, might make more sense to welt a support and hang it on the 2 standard e30 once
                  Attached Files

Comment

So this is my final result picking up an Exhaust from an E30 M3.. it didnt fit in any way so we had to modify everything....

Big amount of work.... better do do it from 0, becasue the exhaust wasnt for free at all...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X