How to get 0 psi for break in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 325est13psi View Post
    i thought engine decel was bad for the first 1000 miles when breaking in a fresh build
    No you want engine braking to seat the Rings

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

-----------------
      89 M50B28 turbo
      LINKY
      -----------------

Comment

That's how I've been doing it for the last 20 years (race track method).
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
        My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Whether the engine has FI or not doesn't matter, To break in the engine, get it up to normal temperature, lock the throttle for 2500rpm, and hold that 20 minutes. At that point the engine is fully broken in. This comes from the motorcycle world and from a NASCAR engine builder. Motor cycles might be different, but the NASCAR guy's advice definitely applies.

I've done race engines and street engines like this for quite a while with complete sucess.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Any recommendations for oil to use? There is always a big controversy about dino vs synthetic.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Dino.

Joe Gibbs break in oil. Used in my mopar 440cid no cam issues

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
              -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

How many times a season do those NASCAR guys rebuild/replace their engines in 1 season? I have read about using the method you describe for top end rebuilds.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                  Whether the engine has FI or not doesn't matter, To break in the engine, get it up to normal temperature, lock the throttle for 2500rpm, and hold that 20 minutes. At that point the engine is fully broken in. This comes from the motorcycle world and from a NASCAR engine builder. Motor cycles might be different, but the NASCAR guy's advice definitely applies.

I've done race engines and street engines like this for quite a while with complete sucess.
                  +1

I had researched the hell out of this and asked a number of builders of multiple engine types. Nearly all followed this exact or very similar procedure.

Comment

youre not suppose to run synthetics during break in periods.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                    Ig:ryno_pzk
                    I like the tuna here.
                    Originally posted by lambo
                    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

What I am kind of curious about, is there are a lot of theories behind how to properly break in an engine....my question is, how do you know that the engine is broken in properly? Would you expect to see a lot of blow-by? Oil consumption, gas mileage? How long the engine "lasts?"

I just had my engine rebuilt. My engine builder, a BMW mechanic, started the car, got the car to operating temperature, and then drove the car hard, got into boost, did some deceleration, and use Rotella T 5w40 oil (changed after 20 miles.) I will continue to use this oil and change it at 500 miles, 1200 miles, and then every 3000 miles.

I'll let you know in a couple years how the engine is holding up.
                      1997 Artic Silver M3
                      CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

compression test and leak down test?
                        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post

+2

Oil should be a dino type, no synthetics.
                          -----------------
                          89 M50B28 turbo
                          LINKY
                          -----------------

Comment

Boost during break in still seems wrong to me lol

Comment

Working...
                            X