No announcement yet.

From knowing nothing to having a Thunderbird supercharger on an m20b27i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's time to get the knock outta my m20. As it progresses through time, the knock has gotten a bit worse. It knocks pretty loudly for about 10 revolutions on start-up. Oil light goes off, and it's nice and quiet until I'm just barely on the gas or when I'm lifting off the gas just before a shift, and it'll rattle back into perception.

So, I took a wire wheel to the b27 bottom. And some degreaser and some brake-clean. Gonna slap a nice thick coat of black paint on it in the morning. Time to order gaskets. Again. I think I've spent $400 on gaskets in the last 2 1/2 years. Bout to spend another , what, $100 again. It better last a while this time.
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Got an old stock, complete m20 gasket kit on Ebay from a guy in NY for $78 shipped. It even looks like it might be an Elring HG. I believe that is a steal.
      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      I was born on 3/25…
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Alright, the ball is rolling on this shit. It's 60 and sunny here in TN today. So I got the block painted and all the surfaces scraped and ready for their new gaskets. I also got the crank bolt out and removed the oil pump (shaft) pulley and crank pulley so as to remove the front seal carrier(?) and re-seal it.

~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Just an observation, but I've been running this car with the supercharger for a full year now. Almost 15000 miles. I still can't believe it works.
            ~~~~~~~~~~
            I was born on 3/25…
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Parts!

Engine!

~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Just regasketing the ole m20b27 bottom. I also inspected and retorqued all of the main bearings and caps. They all looked real nice, almost zero wear, almost. Here go some pics for posterity:

I also ordered some "Karlyn" ball joints to replace the bad ones in a set of control arms I have. If you have a 12 ton press, you can save $100+ on control arms. The inner joints from Karlyn were made in germany and the outers had no id. Good quality. Got them all from FCP Euro for like $35.

From this:

To this:

~~~~~~~~~~
                I was born on 3/25…
                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Oh shit I cleaned the shop. Its amazing. I want to be in there again. Thank the Jebus. Pics to come.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Looky there!!

~~~~~~~~~~
                    I was born on 3/25…
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Damn, that clean shop is so great. I have way more than 9 sq/ft to stand in now.

I decided to do a ritual valve cover paint job to celebrate.

Added some of the same pin striping I used on the car.

And finally, a family dog pic. This is Cosmo, schooling his little brother Boogie.

~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Grill paint from True Value. Good to 1000 degrees. I spray it, then I bake it at 300 for 30 min. Cures as hard as a brick.

~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

This is me when I was a baby.

This is my motor. (So what? I know! Who cares? It's pretty.)

~~~~~~~~~~
                          I was born on 3/25…
                          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

cool build. keep the updates coming

Comment

"This is me when I was a baby"

ROFL!!!

Loveit.
                              I Love my Bimmer. :up:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316184

Comment

Dropped a youngish head off at the machinist tuesday. Getting it back tomorrow all decked and valve grinded and lapped and hot tanked. $100. Full disclosure, I had removed the rockers and shafts before I brought it to him so it would be a bit cheaper.

The head I had been running had been decked past the dimples so I was constantly worrying about valve/piston contact. Irrrrrregardless, now I'll have a very young looking m20b27 bottom and a completely fresh and young looking head and valve train.

Hopefully, I can go get this thing tuned by a pro in the first few weeks after I get the new motor in and not break any of it (this time). Tell you the truth, I'm a little nervous letting anyone else touch my car. Even if they are a pro.

I'll be pulling it into the shop Sunday to go under the knife. I think I'm also gonna try to get the after cooler functioning. I can feel the timing getting pulled when it's hot out, and it just plain sucks. I am wanting this to be the last time I dig into this car for a while so I can focus on the 335ss.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~
                                I was born on 3/25…
                                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X