Feels like Rev Limiter at 4,500 RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feels like Rev Limiter at 4,500 RPM

Our for a drive yesterday and noticed a slight hiccup/hesitation under WOT at 4K and again at 5k rpm. Got home and noticed a loose plug wire. Snapped it back in and figured good to go. Out for a drive today and now it’s much worse. Once it gets up to 4,500rpm it acts like it is bouncing off a rev limiter and will not continue to rev. Does it under both partial throttle and WOT. Under no load it will do the same at 5k rpm. I have a new fuel filter and plug wires waiting to go in. Plugs and air filter done 1,000 miles ago and I checked for vacuum leaks with propane and found none. Anyone have any ideas what to troubleshoot? Car drives fine with normal power up until 4.5k.
    Last edited by IceyVert; 07-11-2021, 03:27 PM.

Tps.

Comment

Or loose crank wheel.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Crank wheel? Do you mean CPS? Sorry if I’m not familiar.

Comment

Originally posted by IceyVert View Post
          Crank wheel? Do you mean CPS? Sorry if I’m not familiar.
          Crank trigger wheel is what he means. The "pulley" on the front of the crank with a toothed wheel around it that the CPS references for crankshaft position.

Comment

Failing AFM.
            Owner - Bavarian Restoration
            BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
            www.BavRest.com
            My Feedback Thread
            Our Facebook!
            Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I should add occasionally I’ll have an extended cranking time (typically when hot). Does this point towards crank position sensor??

Comment

Cap, Rotor and Wires changed. Now does it at 4,100rpm. Definitely runs smoother and starts better, but same issue. Does it at part throttle, full throttle and in N/P. Stomp test revealed no codes - 1444. Guess crank sensor is next.
                Last edited by IceyVert; 07-17-2021, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Typically when the CPS fails, the car will never start.
                  www.BavRest.com
                  My Feedback Thread
                  Our Facebook!
                  Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Based on this thread you should replace everything :)

If it were me i would be getting the bently manual out and systematically testing all of the above mentioned sensors, as well as the coolant sensor and any other sensors not mentioned. There are testing regimes for all of them. And if they all check out then start looking at fuel supply.

Comment

Finished bench testing the AFM and I don’t think it’s causing the issue. Definitely will test what I can. Fuel filter and coil will be changed Friday, fingers crossed.

Question, if stomp test works does that mean TPS is good?

Comment

Maybe, but test it anyway. it only has two switches in it. 100% and 0%. its not a variable TPS like other models.

You also need to make sure that the TPS is adjusted correctly so that when you go wide open and when it comes back to closed it engages the switches properly.

Comment

Originally posted by IceyVert View Post
                          Finished bench testing the AFM and I don’t think it’s causing the issue. Definitely will test what I can. Fuel filter and coil will be changed Friday, fingers crossed.

Question, if stomp test works does that mean TPS is good?
                          I saw you tested your AFM with a 9V battery and meter, those are both the incorrect tools to use and will cause you to have false positive test. You must use a 5V supply and a oscilloscope. 9v battery is almost double the voltage the AFM normally sees so if you have a voltage drop, that drop may be there with the DME 5v supply but not there with a 9V battery. A meter displays an average of the voltage, voltage drop can occur in a microsecond and you meter will never be close to catching it. Plus you cant test if the AFM is good or bad if you are looking at the average voltage. Only an oscilloscope can catch a microsecond voltage drop. See my AFM testing thread.

Yes, the TPS can still be misadjusted even though the stomp test initiates. Perform the testing procedure for the TPS in the Bentley repair manual.
                          www.BavRest.com
                          My Feedback Thread
                          Our Facebook!
                          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

It's the crank sensor. I had one fail with exactly the same symptoms.
                            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

New coil and DME relay, issue persists. Fuel filter Friday and then I guess I’ll throw a crank sensor at it.

Tested AFM while hooked up to 5V and performed as expected. No dead spots and max opening = max voltage, 4.53V

Comment

Working...
                              X