E30 Cams and Stroker build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Cams and Stroker build

I'm pretty new to Engine mods and especially the M20 platform. I just got my first E30 a few weeks ago and want to get more power out of the motor. it's a M20B27 swapped into a 1984 318i. I want to get cams and maybe do a stroker build on the motor but don't want to pull the engine from the car. if i do a newer or machined head, 277/284 Cams, do i need to replace the pistons, valves, and bearings? even if i do just cams to get more power what all must i do to put them in? I know this was covered already but I am still very new to Engine building, I've only messed with newer cars where everything is based around tuning. Thanks

there is extensive knowledge and builds on this and other boards. check out strictly eta for an in depth build and info. do a search here through the builds as well. there are a few different ways to get there depending on budget etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
      there is extensive knowledge and builds on this and other boards. check out strictly eta for an in depth build and info. do a search here through the builds as well. there are a few different ways to get there depending on budget etc.
      Thanks, yeah i just don't wanna have the hassle of pulling my motor or swapping etc. Thank you

Comment

Just go for that Gallo 24 if you don't want to pull the engine

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
          Just go for that Gallo 24 if you don't want to pull the engine

gallo 12 may actually work better

Comment

its pretty much a waste to modify the eta head, you could swap a refreshed 885 head but not sure how the stock eta pistons play with a larger duration cam as far as P to V but id err on the very mild side if using a stock eta bottom end anyway as a tired low compression engine wont utilise a larger duration cam

it comes down to budget and effort you are willing to put in.

89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

+1 to the above.

You either need to be prepared to do pistons, or find someone (or a build thread from someone) who has done the 885 head/Eta 2.7 block + camshaft upgrade and see what they used (Cam + supporting stuff - HD rocker arms? Valve springs?) to have some sort of idea if it is going to fit before you spend the money on a new cam.

Either way, you should check PTV clearance with the new camshaft once you have it.

After all this, you're going to still going to be running the Eta ECU with the stock redline and maps. Depending on your comfort level you can do a standalone ECU or switch to a 325i harness/ECU/sensors/intake/throttle, or just do a chip for the i head on eta block from sssquid.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Well the info was helpful, i know a shop that sells cams but also fully built and machined heads, including 284/272 cams, valves, etc. i may give them a call and see what can work without replace my pistons and having to get the block machined too. i just wanted to see if anyone could help before i needed to start calling machine shops and manufacturers. i plan to get a stand-alone ECU with the install and maybe get a meg squirt ECU or other, it's a lot of work but i really want to keep the M20 in my car for the time being

Comment

if you want a modified head I’d contact forcedfirebird on here, it’s a much better than any of the common shops by a long way if you want a performance head.

If you want to pull the engine ( no one is getting a stroker or machining block without pulling engine) then that’s a totally different story, and depends what purpose you want engine for street, race or both and desired characteristics such a torquey engine or higher rpm screamer

a nice 2.9l is usually good middle ground that’s fairly balanced

taking a step back if you’ve just bought an e30 before spending thousands on engine mods I’d make sure the rest of car is upto scratch
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                    if you want a modified head I’d contact forcedfirebird on here, it’s a much better than any of the common shops by a long way if you want a performance head.
                    I recently did some other research and am starting a budget and plan out for an M60B40 swap into my 318i. Just seemed like a better and cooler option than an M20 stroker or turbo build. I may have to the pull engine but if i am ill full send and swap a better engine in. i appreciate the help with all this but i decided recently it's just a better option. sounds better too

Comment

I put a 731 head on our eta w a 272, +2 valves. new guides and a mild port...oh boy :-)

2.5 hp w 2.7 torque

WOT is getting my cabrio head which is coming off soon for a HG. Cam tbd put probably a 272
                      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                      Alice the Time Capsule
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
                      X