M20 320i Oil leak from upper front of engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 320i Oil leak from upper front of engine

Hi all, I have a 320i coupe with just 74k miles which has this fairly persistent oil leak, runs perfect and looses very little... a drip or two every 24hrs, but I would really like to get it sorted as everything else is spot on.

I have cleaned it all down now but just hoping someone may be able to suggest where I could start looking, the main engine gaskets look fine and the filters not leaking, it looks to be coming from the front upper engine block area just in front of the exhaust manifold?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

The usual culprits-
    valve cover gasket, front cam seal, exhaust stud
    (do those go through on an M20? They do on a 10/30)

A good scrubbing and UV dye is also not hard to do.

t

now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Reseal motor. If its still leaking, RTV / grey right stuff the 6MM bolt going thru the timing cover.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Excellent, thanks both... I've cleaned it up and ordered some RTV so I'll try the simple thing first :-) If not I'll probably do the timing belt and pick up the cam seal at the same time. Appreciate the suggestions.

Comment

The m20 has an inherent leak on the front corner where the head meets the block. The oil drain passages from head to block are far outside of the head bolt pattern. It's worse with cheap gaskets, but they all tend to eventually seep on that front oil passage over time.

As mentioned, front cam seal, the orange o-ring, and VC gasket typically come with a timing belt change anyways.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

John, I forget- do any of the M20 exhaust studs go into the head, or is that just an M10 thing?

'Cause if that was an M10, it'd be oil coming out of a stud.

t
            should just go look at one in the barn, huh?
            But it's warmer in here!
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Holes are blind on the m20
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Just wanted to report back and say thanks for all the guidance, turned out there was three leak locations haha! The dye worked a treat, rocker cover, front cam seal and the bottom oil pressure sensor. All stripped down, cleaned up, I fitted a new timing belt, water pump, cam seal, rocker gasket, thermostat, belts, oil and filter change, spark plugs and D plugs.

Now absolutely spot on, a week of running and not a single spot of oil anywhere... hurrah! Thanks again.

Comment

I recently did valve cover gasket and oil pressure sensor seals. Most of my leaks stopped, but I still have a small leak too. Seems like its dripping from the drain plug. Kind of annoying.

Comment

Working...
                  X