Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove steering rack bolt

Happy thanksgiving guys!

I’m looking to completely drain my PS fluid since I’m changing the lines, and wanted to know what tool I’d use to drain the leftover fluid from the steering rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have also wondered this.

i normally just undo the lines as most stuff comes out then i just install lines fill the reservoir except put the end of the return line that goes from the rack back to the reservoir into a separate container (something with a narrow spout so it doesn't splash everywhere and flush it. need to be careful not to let reservoir empty so only do it in short bursts.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
      i have also wondered this.

i normally just undo the lines as most stuff comes out then i just install lines fill the reservoir except put the end of the return line that goes from the rack back to the reservoir into a separate container (something with a narrow spout so it doesn't splash everywhere and flush it. need to be careful not to let reservoir empty so only do it in short bursts.
      it's how i do it as well.

Comment

The reservoir has a filter in it, so it should be changed if its really old. For a regular flush, I've just sucked the fluid out of the reservoir with a flexible tube that can be pushed down past the base plate into the hose. Fill it with fluid, start the car, turn the wheels back and forth to cycle the dirty fluid into the system. Repeat that until the fluid looks pretty clean.

You could also loosen the banjo bolts and turn the wheel lock to lock to get more of the fluid out if you're changing the lines.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
          The reservoir has a filter in it, so it should be changed if its really old.
          i didn''t have one. took the reservoir off, cleaned it up with the hoses and flushed it with mineral spirits. did not notice any type of filter. where is it located in the res ?

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post

i didn''t have one. took the reservoir off, cleaned it up with the hoses and flushed it with mineral spirits. did not notice any type of filter. where is it located in the res ?

Yes. The reservoir has a built in filter that can't be changed. You literally need a new reservoir. Something recommended if your already changing your PS lines.

So at this point I attached the new PS lines but was doing research that it would be a good idea to drain the steering rack…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by columbo_01 View Post

Yes. The reservoir has a built in filter that can't be changed. You literally need a new reservoir. Something recommended if your already changing your PS lines.

i wonder where it is hidden. doesn't look like there is enough space for one. after flushing it and having it run clear i wouldn't bother with a new one unless it was leaking.

edit : filter must be in a little chamber at the bottom of the res.
              Last edited by 82eye; 11-23-2023, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X