Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 valves in a 731 head

Hi all,
    I got told 325i inlet (42mm) in a 731 head (40mm) is a very expensive task for machining, how about a 41mm valve? or do they not really exist?

Thanks
    RIP 84 323i coupe 5spd w/ 14psi
    89' 318i

Seems to me that increasing valve size is going to mean increasing seat size, which requires some expensive machine work. So I don't see where there'd be an advantage to 41mm vs 42mm valves.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Pretty sure they can be reamed +1mm, at least the 885 can be.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yeah, i know for a fact 325i vavles need the combustion chamber modded, just looking to not have that drop off in flow for higher lift.

Also 855 heads cost ~$700-1k here so thats why im sticking with 731
        89' 318i

Comment

$700 to 1000? whaaaaaaa?

they're like $50 here
          1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
            $700 to 1000? whaaaaaaa?

they're like $50 here
            where?
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              where?
              ok ok... I meant a buddy-buddy deal for a head that may need freshened up

but good heads swap hands for $200-300 easy
              1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

yeah we had no super eta's and most bmw owners were tightasses getting 318i's so rarity of the head has bumped its value lol.
                89' 318i

Comment

the rarity of the 731 head has somewhat bumped it's value here, for people with eta's. i wouldn't bother installing plus size valves in that head. it would be wiser to save that money and get an 885 head/m20b25 if you don't have one. even at 700-1000 you would probably come out on top for cheaper than doing all that work to a lesser head. and why not buy one on here from the states or elsewhere?

Comment

complete motor looking ~$ 1500

I bought a m50 from usa once and gto fucked completely on it. ended up losing about $700 aud. shippings a pain and if the head had a crack develop from shipping id be effed

i also have a good nick 731 head in my parts pile.

may just have it ported but i feel like its going to choke the 2.7.
                    89' 318i

Comment

Originally posted by Gruelius View Post
                      but i feel like its going to choke the 2.7.
                      lol, little do you know.
                      They call me the frog

- E30 Alpina C2 2.7
                      - E30 Alpina C2 2.5
                      - E28 M 528I 3.5 (300HP)
                      - E36 M3 S50 3.2 (Euro)

Comment

use B25 valves and ream the seats and deshroud if neccesary. If you do a half assed job you get half assed results
                        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Would it really be worth the effort of fitting the larger valves?

I have a 2.7 ETA block with 10.2:1 euro pistons and a AMC 731 head (after my last one cracked) My 731 head is ported to essentially the same size intake ports as a 885 head (probably a little bit larger) and we just have to match this to a 325i intake mani and i should be good to go. Would I gain much in this setup from a +1 valve setup...?
                          90 318i M62B44 OBD1
                          02 530i Touring (Airlift 3P)

Comment

Originally posted by wakdog View Post
                            Would it really be worth the effort of fitting the larger valves?

I have a 2.7 ETA block with 10.2:1 euro pistons and a AMC 731 head (after my last one cracked) My 731 head is ported to essentially the same size intake ports as a 885 head (probably a little bit larger) and we just have to match this to a 325i intake mani and i should be good to go. Would I gain much in this setup from a +1 valve setup...?
                            a 731 head with B25 valves and ported mildly flows same as a 885 head but without as much volume in the ports. Why would you go larger ports than the 885? the 885 is already a little large. I hope this was decided based on flow numbers otherwise you might have killed port velocity.
                            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

spoke to the guy who did the porting and hes told me its the same size ports as a 885 head, and jsut a general cleanup inside as the AMC casting is pretty average as it comes from the factory
                              90 318i M62B44 OBD1
                              02 530i Touring (Airlift 3P)

Comment

Working...
                              X