Help! Crusing @ 60mph 5th gear 4000 revs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Crusing @ 60mph 5th gear 4000 revs

I have a euro cluster and I have a 3.73 lsd, anyone know what might be the problem? everyone thinks I got a 4.10 but thats not the case I went underneath my car and it says 3.73? anyone know what could be the problem?
    Last edited by supkev; 05-10-2011, 04:38 PM.

coding plug issue?
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Hmm I'll check that out but I highly doubt its that. I lined up with my friends car at 60 mph and it sounds like my car is at 4000 revs.

Comment

Its either not 4k, or its tiny wheels, or its your diff.

Comment

I'm thinking might be my diff, I have stock weaves.

Comment

there is no diff ratio that would result in 4krpm at 60mph, even with slightly undersized tires.

something else is wrong.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

what should it be?

Comment

Yea thats what I thought even a 4.10 is like at 3500-3700 I can barely keep up though my car is a stroker I can hit 110 mph but I'd be at 7k or beyond (I have no redline) but the only other thing I can think of is transmission gearing? I'mma change the diff fluid soon see if it helps

Comment

Now if I had a 4 banger 318 I would understand but in my I6 hmm I get like 22mpg combined 16-17 city but I know other people with 3.73 are getting better than what I get.

Comment

a 4.10 is about 3000rpm at 60mph, not 3500-3700. 80mph is about 3750.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Damn what could be the possibilities for my high rev on freeway's :/

Comment

your tach is probably not reading correctly
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I don't think that fluid will have anything to do with it, though changing it is always good. Think about it, a differential is either engaged or it isn't. Fluid or lack of fluid doesn't play a part in RPMs. I honestly think there isn't a problem. It sounds like you have a 4.10 diff with a 3.73 cover. What year and model E30 do you have.

Here are the gear ratios for different models (SEE ATTACHMENT)

Heres a calculator that will tell you RPM. Just input the data for your model and BAM! You're pregnant. I mean, your RPM.
                          http://www.f-body.org/gears/

I put in the numbers for a 325i 5 speed w/ a 4.10 and got 60mph @ 3100rpm just as nando says.

Post what transmission you have and we can help you.

Also post which differential you had before and RPM at speed with that diff.
                          Attached Files

Originally posted by StewStewIloveyouyou
                          hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys
                          And am making my life with you guy too. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            a 4.10 is about 3000rpm at 60mph, not 3500-3700. 80mph is about 3750.

on my 3.73 lsd i'm hitting 3000rpm at around 80mph in my 5 speed stock transmission

Comment

I'm telling you - there is no way a 4.10 will do 4000rpm at 60mph. Not unless you're running rubber band tires on 13" wheels.

I get 2800rpm at 60mph with 205/55-15 tires (23.9" diameter) and a 4.10 with the .81 G260 5th gear. with my 235s it just a hair lower.

and a 3.73 with stock diameter tires is 3400 at 80, not 3000. people exaggerate a lot.. 4000rpm with stock diameter tires and a 4.10 is over 85mph, not 80mph as many claim.
                              Last edited by nando; 05-11-2011, 08:57 AM.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X