coolant sensor connector replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coolant sensor connector replacement

On my 87 325e the connector's clip that hooks to the coolant sensor is busted and will come loose triggering the coolant check light. What is the part number or where can I get a replacement connector?

pins:

connector:

way cheaper than ordering from BMW

(I realize this could be the wrong connector, not 100% familliar with eta's, but these are really commonly used for coolant sensors, hope it helps)
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Is there an oem way? tryiong my make my life easy and replace as much oem as possible

Comment

I saw a connector for the ICV on realoem.com last night. Im sure there would be one for the coolant temp sensor on there as well. I am not going to search for you though.

Comment

Originally posted by chappys4life View Post
          Is there an oem way? tryiong my make my life easy and replace as much oem as possible
          it *is* OEM.. AMP/Tyco makes the connectors for BMW.

they have the 3 and 4 pin connectors too.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Is the OP talking about the blue coolant temp sensor, or the coolant level sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by paperplane94 View Post
              Is the OP talking about the blue coolant temp sensor, or the coolant level sensor?
              OP? Its the coolant level sensor

Comment

I need to revive this old thread since I can't find any information about the coolant LEVEL sensor connector. What is posted above is for the coolant temp sensor, but OP was asking for the LEVEL sensor connector, as am I since mine fell off and burnt up on my exhaust header. As fast as I know, the check light can only come on when the level is low. This is the relevant sensor for which I'm trying to find the connector.
                Attached Files

Comment

I recently replaced the connectors on two cars. Here's what I've gathered...you can get the new longer housing for a few bucks but the waterproof female terminals with wiring that fit the connector are NLA. Luckily, I was able to salvage these female terminals from other connectors I had laying around. Of course, you could also just cut the connector off a parts car but it will likely also be 30+ years old and ready to crumble. I cut a few of them off of parts cars over the years realizing they often break. I wished I had taken more when E30's were plentiful at the yards. I believe the later models also use the same terminals for the brake fluid level sensor. The coolant res and brake fluid res are on the intake side on late models so they are subjected to less direct heat than the early models.
                  "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                  88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                  89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                  91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

You might try some type of Ford connector from the 80s/early 90s, they were simply enamored with that style of pin connection. I am sure it will take some searching or junkyard runs to find something close.

I also think that the stock fuel pump or fog light connector may work in that application even though the fitment isn't quite right.

Comment

A newer connector plastic is the part # 61131378408. It's a little bit longer than the original. Some people cut it.

A repair terminal is also available.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4345.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.6 KB ID:	10098274
                      Last edited by Vincenze; 07-05-2023, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X