What oil do YOU use?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 85e325
    replied
    Originally posted by ROLLingKING
    But it was made in the 80's. Just cause its synthetic doesnt mean extra protection. Am i right anyone?
    I dont think in 1991 everyone switched to synthetic. Its just more "popular" now and ppl think it will make things run better. It was explained to me that it makes things too slippery and can allow oil to get through seals or past piston rings. Plus in all my old reciepts i neversaw synthetic
    But hey, it could just be prefence. Im not trying to start a debate that goes nowhere so if someone with ACTUAL oil knowledge could settle this thatd be great. Ive always wanted to have a definitive answer or an answer with facts so i could justify using the regy. other than a hunch
    The main reason way people like to switch to sythetic is just simply the added protection. Yes synthetic creates less friction, which in extreme cases create cooler engine temperatures and even very slight power gains.
    With the weight of oil that our cars take(for the most part 20w50), its so thick the slight change in vescosity between conventional and sythetic shouldn't make your current leaks larger or make any new leaks appear. However for the time being, I'm running a blend of conventional and sythetic oils simply because I really cant find any affordable full sythetic up here

    Leave a comment:


  • browntown
    replied
    VR1 20W-50 is darn near cheap these days. You can usually find it for $5 a quart. For an everyday car I'd just dump napa brand or good ole white jug valvoline oil in it and go on with my day. I'm still skeptical about the diesel oil trend, although a jug of rotella is way cheap, and you can even get it in 5gal pails in normal places like autozone. Brings per quart cost down into the $3 range.

    Leave a comment:


  • ROLLingKING
    replied
    Originally posted by 85e325
    At first I was told the same thing, but with 264k miles extra protection can't hurt. Standard high milage oil does just fine but I just prefer the added assurance
    But it was made in the 80's. Just cause its synthetic doesnt mean extra protection. Am i right anyone?
    I dont think in 1991 everyone switched to synthetic. Its just more "popular" now and ppl think it will make things run better. It was explained to me that it makes things too slippery and can allow oil to get through seals or past piston rings. Plus in all my old reciepts i neversaw synthetic
    But hey, it could just be prefence. Im not trying to start a debate that goes nowhere so if someone with ACTUAL oil knowledge could settle this thatd be great. Ive always wanted to have a definitive answer or an answer with facts so i could justify using the regy. other than a hunch

    Leave a comment:


  • DeM3nted
    replied
    Castrol High Mileage 20-50. Supposedly has additives to increase gasket seal longevity and prevents oil leaks.

    Leave a comment:


  • 85e325
    replied
    Originally posted by ROLLingKING
    I use penzoil. The weight tho depends on the season.10w30 i think im running right now but i change weights based on outside temp. The handbook that came with the car has a nice little pic of a thermometer that goes from 0-120 degrees i think.give or take, im guessing the range, but anyway it shows u which weight is recommended based on outside temps. I found that most helpful cause a lot of ppl have different opinions on this. I dont know what would happen but i wouldnt want 20w50 if its snowing.

    When i first got my E30 in april i was told not to run synthetic in my M20..i was told it was not good for it cause its not made to run synthetic. Any thoughts on synthetic? just curious
    At first I was told the same thing, but with 264k miles extra protection can't hurt. Standard high milage oil does just fine but I just prefer the added assurance

    Leave a comment:


  • Robotin
    replied
    Gastrol GTX High Mileage 20w-50..

    thats the green bottle....

    does wonders....

    Leave a comment:


  • ROLLingKING
    replied
    Originally posted by Chruby99
    My first Beamer. I am running castro gtx 10w30. Not a fan on synthetic on older cars.
    My first thoughts were to never run synthetic on it. Synthetic wasnt put in em in the 80's so i didnt think i should now. In my 98 vr6 jetta, I did run synthetic tho. It enjoyed it
    Nice thread OP

    Leave a comment:


  • Chruby99
    replied
    Wow News To Me

    My first Beamer. I am running castro gtx 10w30. Not a fan on synthetic on older cars.

    Leave a comment:


  • Holland
    replied
    The M10 gets Rotella 15w40. Lots of zinc that our old engines love, although I probably should be using the 20w50.

    Leave a comment:


  • hye d
    replied
    Red line 5w40 all year .

    Leave a comment:


  • ROLLingKING
    replied
    I use penzoil. The weight tho depends on the season.10w30 i think im running right now but i change weights based on outside temp. The handbook that came with the car has a nice little pic of a thermometer that goes from 0-120 degrees i think.give or take, im guessing the range, but anyway it shows u which weight is recommended based on outside temps. I found that most helpful cause a lot of ppl have different opinions on this. I dont know what would happen but i wouldnt want 20w50 if its snowing.

    When i first got my E30 in april i was told not to run synthetic in my M20..i was told it was not good for it cause its not made to run synthetic. Any thoughts on synthetic? just curious

    Leave a comment:


  • Bearmw
    replied
    Rotella or Delvac 15w40

    Leave a comment:


  • Mullet Bullet
    replied
    20w50 Kendall
    Or
    15w40 delo

    Leave a comment:


  • greanthumb
    replied
    mobil1

    Leave a comment:


  • KenC
    replied
    Originally posted by jlevie
    My first choice is Brad Penn 20w50 and my second choice is Valvolene VR-1 20w50. If I lived in a more northern climate I'd switch to a 10w30 or a 15w40 during the coldest months of the year when temps will be consistently below freezing. But here in the south 20w50 year round works.

    I use those oils for their higher ZDDP content, which reduces wear on the internals of the engine. There is no reason to run synthetic in an M20 engine since the oil and filter changes need to remain at or below the original recommendations. Contamination of the oil occurs long before the oil's lubricating properties are exhausted on these engines.
    Gospel.

    Leave a comment:

Working...