Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picked Up a Spare M20. Help Me Identify It!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked Up a Spare M20. Help Me Identify It!

I picked up a spare, supposed 50K mile M20. Amazingly, a friend and I were able to unload it sans engine crane.

Can anyone tell from these pictures what the details on this motor are? ETA, non-ETA, etc?

My goal is to replace the gaskets (other than the head gasket), timing belt, water pump and a few other things, then swap this into my 91 sedan, that has over 200K on it. I want to make sure that I can swap it in as a stock replacement. I can take more pictures of different parts of the head and block if needed.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ClayW; 12-06-2012, 08:19 PM.
    1987 325e Commuter Project Blog

1967 1600 Project Blog: www.TX02.blogspot.com

The 2.5/2.7 on the head makes me think superETA, the intake manifold is not an eta manifold but I don't know the superETA by looks. It could be a 325i intake, but I don't recognize the head casting specs so I'm voting super. Somebody more knowledgeable then I will chime in however, you may have scored the starting of a budget stroker!
    1990 332i, 4 door
    2008 KTM 990 Superduke
    2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
    2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
    2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

M20 motor for sure, good find.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

Hard to tell these days without looking at injectors/fpr/camshaft/valvesprings. It appears to be an I engine but where is the oil filter housing? It has the early style L idle valve and late style water pump it looks like. Hard to be sure these days without looking inside.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Also has a a plastic one piece injector wiring harness and an impulse sensor on the ignition wires so I would say a later b25i so should work well in your 91
          My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
          4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
            Also has a a plastic one piece injector wiring harness and an impulse sensor on the ignition wires so I would say a later b25i so should work well in your 91
            Yes this. Its an '89+ b25 motor

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2
            1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
              Hard to tell these days without looking at injectors/fpr/camshaft/valvesprings. It appears to be an I engine but where is the oil filter housing? It has the early style L idle valve and late style water pump it looks like. Hard to be sure these days without looking inside.
              I'll pull the valve cover off and snap a picture soon.

Comment

Look for dual valve springs, k on cam in between lobes on front of engine. Definitely an I intake and not super eta.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Took the Valve Cover Off

I took the valve cover off and snapped a few quick pictures before work. This thing is dirty!

Comment

"supposed 50K mile M20"

Looks like there is a missing 2 or 3 digit from the front of the 50k :)
                    My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                    4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Hard-driven 50K and improper maintenance can give all that deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by Varinn View Post
                        The 2.5/2.7 on the head makes me think superETA, the intake manifold is not an eta manifold but I don't know the superETA by looks. It could be a 325i intake, but I don't recognize the head casting specs so I'm voting super. Somebody more knowledgeable then I will chime in however, you may have scored the starting of a budget stroker!

they all say 2.5/2.7

Nice find, Just picked one up the other day. Me and my friend pulled it out of the truck without a stand either. Just stacked 4 tires up and slid it off on them. I never relized how much a fully dressed m20 wieghs

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
                          Hard-driven 50K and improper maintenance can give all that deposit.

Yeah, I have seen cheap oil build up that kind of crap.

Anyway, the price was right for the motor, so I'm going to clean it up, do a little maintenance, and swap it into the sedan before my 200K+ mile M20 bites the dust.

Comment

Its had the head bolts replaced which is a plus and that looks like an "I" intake. Since it also has the late series metal water pipe in front (which I believe is '89 on) Id say its an "I" for sure.
                            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                            Alice the Time Capsule
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                              Yeah, I have seen cheap oil build up that kind of crap.

Anyway, the price was right for the motor, so I'm going to clean it up, do a little maintenance, and swap it into the sedan before my 200K+ mile M20 bites the dust.
                              200K bite the dust? I'm way over that and still track my car :-)

My Dad's ix which shows 220 or something on the odo, he found out through a carfax (after purchasing) that it had logged 310K in 2004 with the state of washington. It has to be approaching 400K by now, and he DDs it 35 miles. Near perfect compression too.

But, a 50K engine should last you longer, especially if taken care of :-)
                              -------------------------------------------------
                              1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
                              2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Working...
                              X