Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

160 whp attainable on a basic m20 build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

160 whp attainable on a basic m20 build?

Hey guys, have a goal of 160 whp. Would that be attainable with a cam (i.e. 272 or 284/280), exhaust, 7 lb flywheel, and kamotors intake?

I put down 150 on my 2.5 with some nice bolt ons. Shouldnt be too hard depends on the condition of the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by f2740xd View Post
      Hey guys, have a goal of 160 whp. Would that be attainable with a cam (i.e. 272 or 284/280), exhaust, 7 lb flywheel, and kamotors intake?
      Maybe a tune/chip to get it dialed in?
      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
        Maybe a tune/chip to get it dialed in?
        w.a.r.?

Comment

WAR chip tuning wouldn't be a bad idea. My friends setup went from 133 to 155whp. Btw you know the flywheel will give you zero more power, it just helps the motor rev faster. Quality headers/ exhaust and a cam will make the most difference
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Just a fresh head, exhaust and my chip did 157whp with the stock air box. Pretty much every spec e30 is in the mid to upper 150's, and we aren't allowed chips.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              WAR chip tuning wouldn't be a bad idea. My friends setup went from 133 to 155whp. Btw you know the flywheel will give you zero more power, it just helps the motor rev faster. Quality headers/ exhaust and a cam will make the most difference
              Well doesn't the lighter flywheel lower the drivetrain loss of power?

Comment

I'm going for a cam, exhaust, maf, injectors, kamotors intake, and a w.a.r chip and hope to get to about 200bhp
                Originally posted by Vokuhila
                I laughed, and then I serioused

Comment

Well doesn't the lighter flywheel lower the drivetrain loss of power?
                  It does require power to spin up the flywheel, but at a constant speed, no additional power is needed. The rate that the engine is accelerating during a chassis dyno pull is probably low enough that the power needed to accelerate the flywheel is negligible.

Comment

Originally posted by redlightpete View Post
                    It does require power to spin up the flywheel, but at a constant speed, no additional power is needed. The rate that the engine is accelerating during a chassis dyno pull is probably low enough that the power needed to accelerate the flywheel is negligible.
                    Okay, then I won't worry about the fw for now, would rather spend the 220+ship from rhd on a tune, that'll prob come longer down the road unless I'm feeling spend and splurge. Don't want to spend more than 1200 all in on performance mods. Could kinda do a turbo build with the 780$ cx kit, tcd 179$ tune, $180 for a wideband, and blue top bigger injectors running 8 psi (ish), but not sure how I feel about that (would be on stock hg and bolts). Any input as to that?

... oh and a couple hundred to have a down pipe made

also don't know what the deal is with the fuel pressure regulator... is the stock one useable on low power levels?
                    Last edited by f2740xd; 09-17-2015, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Okay, then I won't worry about the fw for now, would rather spend the 220+ship from rhd on a tune, that'll prob come longer down the road unless I'm feeling spend and splurge. Don't want to spend more than 1200 all in on performance mods. Could kinda do a turbo build with the 780$ cx kit, tcd 179$ tune, $180 for a wideband, and blue top bigger injectors running 8 psi (ish), but not sure how I feel about that (would be on stock hg and bolts). Any input as to that?

... oh and a couple hundred to have a down pipe made

also don't know what the deal is with the fuel pressure regulator... is the stock one useable on low power levels?
                      You'd need a begi/car tech rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

As far as the CX kit, I would not trust the BOV now Wastegate. Stick with brand name stuff, those are safety items.
                      Originally posted by audiquattrot
                      bimmers b4 b*tches....remember that.
                      1990 Alpinweiss 325i - secret 500whp build
                      2000 Audi S4 B5 Laser Red
                      1990 Nissan 240sx - Drift Missile
                      2006 CBR600RR

Comment

I got 154/152 rwhp on a 200k+ mile m20b25 with 272 cam, refreshed head, long tube headers, 19lb injectors and a SSSquid chip to match.

This is up from 143rwhp a few years ago without headers or cam.
                        1986 911 Supercharged Frakenstrat/Stripped
                        1987 325is Delphin/Black (Olga)
                        1988 M3 Zinno/Natur (Elsa)

Manual or STFU

E30 Chapter of BMW Car Club of America
                        E30 Oktoberfest 2017

Comment

Just use larger injectors and have a chip made, or go with MS. I haven't had an issue with the stock regulator, it is actually a rising rate, it will increase 1psi for every psi of boost being fed into the vac port. Using those high rising rate is not a good way to tune.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                            Just use larger injectors and have a chip made, or go with MS. I haven't had an issue with the stock regulator, it is actually a rising rate, it will increase 1psi for every psi of boost being fed into the vac port. Using those high rising rate is not a good way to tune.
                            Okay, and yeah I'm aware that the cheap turbo stuff, could find a better bov and stuff. I'm mixed as to the turbo itself. I've heard that the turbos cx has aren't terrible, and that china turbos aren't the worst if you don't push tons of boost through them, which I wouldn't be doing.

Comment

all things healthy, megasquirt alone would get you near the number you're after.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X