Das Beast: My E30 track / street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dvallis View Post
    I actually considered the M52tu. However, an M20 can make the same power with a turbo (see KaMotors kit) and weighs 100 lbs less fully dressed.
    That's crazy talk. The heads are heavier so you're moving weight up but the aluminium M52 are actually lighter than an M20 by roughly 20kg. Even the iron M50/M52 aren't all that much heavier than an M20, definitely not 100lb. The turbo kit is only going to add weight and will end up even heavier than an iron M50.

With that said, M20's are awesome and you can get some damn good power out of them NA, or turbo.

Comment

From a previous post:

So here is some useful information. I combed all the "engine weight" threads, found guys that actually weighed engines, cross referenced to a lot of external sources, threw out the data that didn't make sense and came up with this table. Let me know if you have corrections based on real data (ie. put an engine on a scale) PM me if you want to spreadsheet. Board won't allow XLS attachments.

11/1/15: Updated table with M20 figures from KaMotors M20 turbo kit

"And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
      2002 E39 M5

Comment

Comment

Hey, I remember those pics. Is that your shop or just a re-link to the originals?

So M20B25 1st pic and M52B28 in the 3rd?

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Copied from the original. My shop is much, much messier. What should be mentioned is that aluminium M52B28 doesn't have a flywheel, whereas the M20B25 does. I believe a stock M20B25 flywheel is around 8kg. That's why I said the weight difference is roughly 20kg and not 30kg.

I will get some decent scales for weighing engines when I start my aluminium M52B28 swap. I have lots of engines around here to weigh. M20B20, M20B23, E34 M30B35, Ford 302w, GM series 2 3800 V6. Most important will be the difference between the 2.7i M20 coming out and the M52B28 going in though. I'll also weigh the difference between a complete M20 731 and M52B28 single vanos head. I'll post pictures like those to clearly show what is included in weight.
            Last edited by Hooffenstein HD; 11-18-2015, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Guys, I Have an aluminum block M52 in my car. Weighed the car with the M20 and it was 2400# dead. Weighed it again with the aluminum block M52 and it was 2450#. However, the car also received a 12" GAS subwoofer box along with the amp, so I'm pretty sure the extra 50# is from the box, not the motor
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Hoof

Very cool. When you get the weights post them here and I'll update the spreadsheet

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Today's project: Messing with wheels and such

Went back to the tire shop for matching rear tires. I weighed the rims when they pulled them and dismounted the rubber. Would you believe the rims that came with my $1000 E30 weigh 14 lbs ?! WTF? No wonder there were wheel locks on them. I know it's a long shot but can anyone identify these rims. 15 x 7

That means I saved 44 lbs total compared to stock 25 lb rims. Rolling weight is now 2,389 lbs. Race seats, sunroof delete and heater core delete will easily get me down to 2,200s.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Another 9 lbs of German Engineering removed. Dash insulation, rear deck tar, some wires and interior trim.

If I had one question for E30 engineers .... "WHAT'S WITH ALL THE TAR!!!"

Haven't even started on the floor tar yet. Oh joy.

Weight 2,380

Last edited by dvallis; 11-18-2015, 09:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

2002 E39 M5

Comment

The wheels are TRM, a pretty popular wheel for the real racer crowd

How do you figure deleting the sunroof and heater core, and replacing the OEM seats with race seats will drop 180# ?? Sunroof is about 30# from what I remember. Keep it up though, and when you're done go get a real weight measurement. Im curious.

...and finally, all that tar makes a difference in interior noise. BMW built this car for the masses, not the racers. Im sure their race cars have zero tar
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Found it. Tha "JW" thing above is an Enkei symbol. Wheels are really similar to PF01 but they look like an older discontinued model since weight is 14 lbs each.

I could shave off 3 lbs at each wheel, 12 total, with an RPF1 15x8. The current 205/55/15 tires weighed in at 20 lbs each and 225/45/15 are also ~20 lbs.

Sounds like a plan.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Simon, missed your post. I'll look into TRM wheels.

For the weight I meant "in the 2200s" not 2200 even. Race seats drop 60 lbs, sunroof junk 20ish and heater core, hoses etc another 30.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

An even ton in a car is a good weight, a few mods on the M20 and you will already be having a blast, give it double the M20 power and you will definitely have your hands full.
                            Should be fun, I enjoy your updates :up:
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Simon

You called it. My wheels are definitely TRM C1. 13.6 lbs 15x7

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Today's project is a good one: HVAC Delete

I've been waiting to do this because removing the @#$# heater box is a stone cold beatch but we'll get to that. First, heater core removal. We need to disconnect these two hoses from the engine block to the heater core (through the firewall).

We're going to use these to plug the hoses. 3/4" bolts from the hardware store and a couple of hose clamps.

Voila. Hoses blocked. I ended up using two clamps per hose and wrapping the bolts with plumbers tape. This is only temporary since I'll be plugging the outlets at the block once it's pulled for a turbo upgrade.

Now we can move on to the main culprit: The heater box. Apparently there are 4 bolts attaching it to the firewall, only accessible from the engine side of the compartment.

Here's how much of it I got out being civilized. 8 lbs

Now time to get Medieval on it's ass. Das Beast, meet the 10 lb breaker bar.

This required significant violence with the breaker bar.

Finally got to the blower and ripped it out.

Success!

And everything is back together. Car still starts. (Another miracle)

Total removed: 26 lbs

Curb weight 2,352 lbs
                                Last edited by dvallis; 11-21-2015, 09:43 PM. Reason: Typo

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Working...
                                X