No announcement yet.

Das Beast: My E30 track / street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you mind sharing pics of your WUE and ASE setup screens? I'll check against mine.
    "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
    2002 E39 M5

Comment

So here's some slight weirdness. Took a drive last night to test the odometer with the new K factor. Speedo says 15.7 miles driven, GPS says 15.05

Re-doing the math:

245/40/17 diameter is 24.7 inches

5280 feet/mile x 12 inch/feet x 9 pulses/rev / (3.141592 x 24.7) inch/rev = 7348 pulses/mile

That needs to be scaled down by 15.05/15.7 = 0.958598

So the new K = 7043

The last digit is always zero (only BMW knows why) so K=7040

We'll see ...
      Last edited by dvallis; 03-02-2020, 10:08 PM. Reason: Typo

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Sounds familiar: "If your idle hunts when the engine is cold, but stabilizes when it warms up, try more warm up enrichment."

Or any other Engine Management System DIYAutoTune Related Products: MS3Pro Engine Management Wideband O2 Sensors and Gauges How to: Tune for a smooth idle “How do I get a smooth idle like my stock ECU had?” It’s a common enough question to warrent a small article with tips for how to get the idle in…

Going to try this tomorrow

2002 E39 M5

Comment

I'll post my WUE and ASE tables later. There is an auto-tune function for WUE that works pretty well.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Thanks. I'll look into that

2002 E39 M5

Comment

A neighbor sent me a video of some crazy e30 in our neighborhood. Do you live near Allandale by chance?
              Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
              COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Originally posted by rjmcdermott81 View Post
                A neighbor sent me a video of some crazy e30 in our neighborhood. Do you live near Allandale by chance?
                That's definitely me. Great pic. :- ) I've been driving all over town putting miles on the clutch. I just drive randomly without a GPS for the fun of seeing Austin. I've lived here 20+ years but it's amazing the roads you find by just wandering.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Worked on cold start idle a bit today. ASE and WUE are both enabled. Engine idles great warm at 900 rpm but hates cold start. Doesn't matter how much ASE or WUE I add. However, a very light press on the throttle for about 3 minutes cold and it idles fine. Seems to want more air, not more fuel. Tried enabling idle advance, adding advance under rpm target and taking it out above. Didn't help either. Not done with this, but not a show stopper either.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

What exactly is it doing at idle when it's cold? Is it oscillating a lot? Do you have open or closed loop idle? Post up your tables as well or even post your .msq file if you can, I'll take a look through it.

varg tuned my car, but I have since spent a lot of time tinkering with my idle getting it from 95% to 100%. With a cam and lightweight flywheel, my idle had some idiosyncrasies to work on, especially when the car is fully heat soaked after a track session (that weren't easy to replicate on the street).
                    Last edited by Digitalwave; 03-06-2020, 09:27 AM.

RISING EDGE

Comment

It has a wide oscillation at idle when cold. Using open loop idle. Closed loop idle requires an ICV, which I don't have. Will post my idle tables later today.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Now that you've reverted to the stock intake manifold it might be worth adding the stock ICV back

Comment

Post your fuel table as well. When you start it up next time try and make a mental note of what range (as in what X-Y area) of the fuel map it oscillates through when it's cold, and where it settles in when it's warm.

It's possible that variance in timing and fuel values around the idle area are causing the oscillation. Usually you want that area of the timing and fuel maps to be nearly completely flat. Or for timing, just use the idle advance setting, that's what I do.

I didn't realize you don't have an ICV. Usually you step down the ICV from more open to less open during warmup as well, so that may play a part of this. I would think it could be worked around, though.

RISING EDGE

Comment

For the five minutes it takes to warm up, my foot can be the Idle Control Valve. :-)

200 miles on the clutch. Tried a couple of 10 psi 4th gear pulls and didn't slip. Will put another 100 miles on and try 19 psi.

Dual electric fans and big double pass radiator are working out great. Cooling system keeps it at 190F, even in stop and go traffic. Creeps up to 200F if you hit it hard then have to idle at a long light, but comes back down to 190F with 50 mph airflow.

Ghetto alignment is doing fine so far. Will do a proper string box alignment once we drop the suspension back down from this F150 height and put the diffuser back on.
                            Last edited by dvallis; 03-13-2020, 10:25 AM. Reason: Typo

2002 E39 M5

Comment

post some videos

Comment

More Lower ...

... is what my Karate teacher used to yell before whacking us with a bamboo shinai. Das Beast needs more lower.

I dialed the suspension back down from F150 height and carefully backed out the driveway. Nope. Not gonna do it.

Quick trip to Lowes for material and we're back in business.

Finally getting a good look at the ride height. We put off doing the rear valence until we figured out the diffuser situation. Going to start looking at that again.

Just for fun, here's the before picture

Drove around some more and got the clock up to 225 miles. I couldn't resist and did one WOT 4th gear roll-on. I was shifting early, but still had to lift from WOT in 5th. Going waaayyyy to fast, even for the deserted country road I was on. Back to Driving Miss Daisy for another couple of hundred miles.

Last edited by dvallis; 03-16-2020, 07:44 AM.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Working...
                                X