new valve guides, valve seals not seating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new valve guides, valve seals not seating

Gents, I had a shop replacing my EX guides and cutting valve seats. Anyway, when I got a head back, I noticed that valve seals weren't totally seated to the stop. I figured it was due to Elring aftermarket seals as they looked different than OEM. Not a big deal, I was disassembling the whole thing a cleaning it anyway (machine shop left alum. shavings in cooling passages and they were all over the place. So yesterday I was going final assembly on the head and noticed that I still have the same problem with gem seals. Do I need to take it back to the machine shop or it's not a big deal. When installing, the seal goes all the way down to the seat but than inside rubber decompresses and the seal lifts off the seat. Not my pic and not M20, but it looks similar (maybe not that high)

Last edited by zaq123; 06-14-2017, 01:04 PM.

Should I have the machine shop check new valve guide seat areas? My IN guides weren't replaces (still in spec) and all of them are perfectly seated (just like in this pic)

Comment

If they pushed on like usual, I wouldn't worry.

There have been some wrong sizes (they don't even fit) reported recently
      for M10's...

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

They are sitting tight....tighter than seals on original IN guides....I'm just concerned about how straight they are seated like that and maybe about retainer to seal clearance (although I got extra 0.06 mm over 1mm min clearance specified for DBilas valve springs). Dbilas' enormous 11.5mm valve lift plus slight extra lift from HD rockers push it pretty close. If the setting issue is not an issue and 1.06mm is a bigger issue, would you guys recommend to file springs retainers a little to gain some more clearance? I can probably shave off up to 1mm+ until collets are close to flush with the bottom of the retainer.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
        Last edited by zaq123; 06-14-2017, 06:59 PM.

Comment

1mm is perfectly fine for retainer to seal. catcams recommend 0.6mm minimum
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

What kind of machine shop leaves aluminium sworf in a head after work?

I believe they should have given it a pressure/vacuum test to check the valve stem seals once they were installed.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
              What kind of machine shop leaves aluminium sworf in a head after work?

I believe they should have given it a pressure/vacuum test to check the valve stem seals once they were installed.
              Machine shop is very reputable. I didn't expect to bolt the head straight out of the shop. They knew it and the payment reflected this. The Shop pointed out that there are some al. shavings from surfacing in the cooling jacket...no secrets. Although I'm a little upset about valve seal situation. Digger, what do you think about valve seals not being seated? Should I have them address this or let it go?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm going to have a look at a spare head I have here and some seals to see how they sit. Many people just use deep socket to lightly tap the seals on the guide, there isn't anything too fancy the shop can do that you can't.
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

had a few reinz sitting around, used a 10/11mm socket pushed on by hand most of the way and a light tap on socket with rubber mallet. end result. there is a radius on the bottom of the seal so there will be a visible "part line"

Comment

I guess I'l leave it. I wasn't going to ask the shop to install seals but to check if guides need to be slightly milled down.

Comment

Working...
                    X