No announcement yet.

High Rev M20B25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's a "-ECS Performance Water pump kit" ?
    Do you have a link to the actual kit?

Comment

Originally posted by E30-325iS View Post
      Most vendors will package a kit together or a specific job. Forget the "performance" title ;)
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

To add, check out this thread...

john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

this thread makes my head hurt.....

You dont need fancy Titanium rods to spin up to 8k, FFS the GM 3.6 global spins to 6800 factory and has the shitty "powdered metal rods" A old early 90's GM Lq1 will spin over 7k all day long if with nothing but the limiter turned up..... A m20 will spin faster but runs out of cam, and will float valves above 7k and make nothing but noise above stock.

You need to put your efforts/most cash into the top end more so than the bottom end, though a good balance and WAY better fasteners in the bottom end would be advisable. And yes stock M20 rods might not be the best idea down there there but for 7500 is not likely to cause too much issue with a good set of Raceware or ARPs holding things together. Though like noted S5X rods will be a good budget upgrade.
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

Honestly, I have put the stock rods and bolts through the ringer. The rods are super stout, but heavy. Had a car come in with a hydro locked motor. Opened it up and the owner must have drove it into a lake because the two middle rods were bent nearly in half and only showed a tiny crack on each one.

If the donor core is still matching OEM parts, the rods will be within +/-2g of each other (I bring them to .+/-.1g). Likewise the cranks are very well balanced. The pistons usually have about a +/-5g spread, I also put them to +/-.1g.

...and Sleeve, the LQ1 has the same exact bottom end as all the other early 60°v6's, but they are also true forged like the m20. GM didn't start using the powder rods until 2004 when the LX9 came out. ;)
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
              You don't need to keep the stroke small to make power and rev high. Rama is making something like 275whp at 8000 RPM with an 84mm crank, so please don't dismiss my input.

This car is revving to 7500 and makes 217whp/202wtq, 2.8l with 84.5mm pistons, one of my WOT-Tech cylinder heads (ported and flowed on my bench) and only a small 272 camshaft...

We ran out of injector, but made good power none the less. Time for an upgrade and put it back on the rollers :)

Here is the build...

Pics got hosed from photobucket, but you can install a correction in your browser to see them.
              Man thanks for all your input in the post! Owe you a beer
              Jebc
              E30 '89 Zinnoberrot-138 325i M20B25
              E83 '05 Titansilber Metallic-354 X3 2.5i M54B25 6 Speed Manual - Daily
              Fa5 '07 Civic Si K20Z3 Brembo Brakes/Skunk2 Pro Series Manifold/BuddyClub Coilovers - Daily - Sold
              E36 '94 Alpinweiss III-300 325i (Euro Spec) M50B25TU with //M Aerodynamics Package - Sold
              E30 '89 Brillantrot-308 325iX M20B25 with 325iS M/T Swap - Sold

E30 '90 Brillantrot-308 325i M20B25 - RIP
              https://www.facebook.com/jebc125
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E30-325iS View Post
                This is the kit https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...el-2/m20_11~3/

The performance word is almost a marketing phrase
                Jebc
                E30 '89 Zinnoberrot-138 325i M20B25
                E83 '05 Titansilber Metallic-354 X3 2.5i M54B25 6 Speed Manual - Daily
                Fa5 '07 Civic Si K20Z3 Brembo Brakes/Skunk2 Pro Series Manifold/BuddyClub Coilovers - Daily - Sold
                E36 '94 Alpinweiss III-300 325i (Euro Spec) M50B25TU with //M Aerodynamics Package - Sold
                E30 '89 Brillantrot-308 325iX M20B25 with 325iS M/T Swap - Sold

E30 '90 Brillantrot-308 325i M20B25 - RIP
                https://www.facebook.com/jebc125
                sigpic

Comment

ECS "tuning" has to be one of the most over rated online BMW parts vendors ever. Ugh.

Oh but it comes with a "racing" timing belt! An answer to a question nobody asked! :p
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I don't think you read the link correctly. Its the "Performance Ultimate Timing belt kit"

It's the ultimate? what more do you want? its 300% stronger than an conventional belts. 300%! If you don't buy this kit you are literally murdering your engine.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      ECS "tuning" has to be one of the most over rated online BMW parts vendors ever. Ugh.

Oh but it comes with a "racing" timing belt! An answer to a question nobody asked! :p
                      Actually IveGotIssues666 asked the question.

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...es+timing+belt

:D

Comment

...and yet, we just use the Conti belt on the race cars.
                        Rockers, Mafs, brake carrier bolts, wiring harnesses, rear diff carrier brackets,
                        windshields and fenders, yes.

Timing belts, no problems.

t
                        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

people who think that horsepower or boost have some direct affect on the timing belt have no idea how the forces in the head work..

Yes, I too had read that thread ages ago - the only valid argument for it was RHD as he had valve springs with much higher rates than stock.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yes this is a sidebar

Firebird: yes I know the Lq1 is largely gen 1 60* on the bottom, but isnt still a cast crank?? The 1st GM 60* I can think of with a forged unit was the 3.5 in the the SS Malibu wagons Circa 2004ish. That and to get a forged crank in a M20 you have to source a M21 diesel crank. At one point long long ago I had both a M20 and a M21 crank on my work bench and there is a big difference in sound when gently tapped on.
                            Last edited by mrsleeve; 02-20-2018, 01:08 AM.
                            Originally posted by Fusion
                            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                            William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                              yes this is a sidebar

Firebird: yes I know the Lq1 is largely gen 1 60* on the bottom, but isnt still a cast crank?? The 1st GM 60* I can think of with a forged unit was the 3.5 with the blower in the the SS Malibu wagons Circa 2004ish. That and to get a forged crank in a M20 you have to source a M21 diesel crank. At one point long long ago I had both a M20 and a M21 crank on my work bench and there is a big difference in sound when gently tapped on.

Gen 1-3 is nodular iron cranks. Early lx9 has cast, rest were billet forgings with CNC cheeks (telltale sign). Problem with lx9 cranks going in earlier model blocks is the 2.25" rod pins (up from 2.1"). BMW did the very same thing in the s54 ;) (well, except they left the .001" bearing clearance....GM increased it o.0)

Either way, the iron cranks in the BMW's have shown me 500wtq is plenty capable. Never even bothered looking for a TD crank, since the cranks aren't what fails. Keeping these long heads from lifting and straight is the bigger issue. v6 have short heads and 2 additional head studs for a same amount of bores.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:

Comment

i have nothing to add except i miss the m20 for the higher reving vs the m30. :(
                                Even a big cam doesn't help the m30.

Comment

Working...
                                X