Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

220+hp to the wheels

Hey guys,

So I have an mtech2 car. It's an auto but has the knob with the sport setting. Yeah. I know it would be a lot more fun if it was manual but my health won't allow for it.

I want to make 220+ to the wheels and keep it smog legal I live in denver. I'm thinking an IE stroker kit 3.1, a rhd ITB set up and a sssquid set up might work. What do you guys think?

Any suggestions with smog in mind would be great. This will be a street/track car.

Once I figure out how to post pics I will. Thanks
    sigpic

What are Colorados smog rules?
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I dont know. Just moved here maybe someone can chime in. I thought about forced induction too. I believe IE or VAC has a kit... don't know about hp/to figures though
      sigpic

Comment

A 24v would be your quickest, easiest way to get that. Probably cheaper than building a bored and stroked M20 too
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

Depending on how much money you want to spend an s52 or s54 with an e36 m3 smg setup would be auto, fast and fun without having a typical slushbox.

If you want to get to 220 cheapish and don’t care about having a normal slush box I would just go s52

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
          IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            A 24v would be your quickest, easiest way to get that. Probably cheaper than building a bored and stroked M20 too
            Wash your mouth out sir
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Can the sssquid kit handle a m20 that custom with itbs? I felt like full standalone was needed.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                Wash your mouth out sir

Haha I didn’t say it was the better option but really in many ways it is...

Sincerely

A guy who had a 2.8L 24v and still plans on building a 2.8L 12v
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Wash your mouth out sir
                  OP, you will listen to everything Mr digger has to say about engines.

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by e30 brick View Post
                    I dont know.
                    Find out. Everything hinges on your SMOG rules.

Here's a spec sheet for the 2.9L stroker setup.
                    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Haha I didn’t say it was the better option but really in many ways it is...

Sincerely

A guy who had a 2.8L 24v and still plans on building a 2.8L 12v
                      maybe 15 years ago, that was true. Now, you're talking about 25 year old junkyard engines, most of which with unknown history and condition - vs what would be a brand new M20 built with the latest knowledge (which is a LOT better than it was back in the day).

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=327183

Dave has tuned about as many M52s as anyone I know - and you can count the number of actual 220whp M52s on one hand.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        maybe 15 years ago, that was true. Now, you're talking about 25 year old junkyard engines, most of which with unknown history and condition - vs what would be a brand new M20 built with the latest knowledge (which is a LOT better than it was back in the day).

Dave has tuned about as many M52s as anyone I know - and you can count the number of actual 220whp M52s on one hand.

I think that’s because everyone wants a S50/S52. He obviously knows how to make that power with a M52 because his own junkyard car was one that made it... all with factory parts

Also, how many 2.8L (or even 2.9L) M20s are making 220whp?

Just sayin...
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

The problem with 3.1l engine is firstly getting a good piston, it's a custom order ( cant order a kit for some reason) and you need to speak to the right supplier to get them that way. What you want is a stock looking piston with shorter compression height in 4032 material for a street engine.

With emissions if you keep overlap down pretty much irrespective of the duration and have a good custom tune then there is no issue

It's important to note that the 3.1l wont make much if any more power than say a 2.8-3L as the head and cam will be the limiting factor. The bigger engine will peak at lower rpm and have more peak torque if executed properly that's where the displacement comes into it. This is not a pushrid engine where you can bolt on a bigger head for a stroker motor.

To get a 3.1L to breathe properly and make big power involves extensive head work ( again this is custom work not available off the shelf ) and less street friendly camshaft which is not what you're aiming for if passing emissions is your goal
                          Last edited by digger; 12-07-2018, 04:53 PM.
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Wash your mouth out sir

I agree.

To get a 3.1L to breathe properly and make big power involves extensive head work ( again this is custom work not available off the shelf ) and less street friendly camshaft which is not what you're aiming for if passing emissions is your goal

Maybe a little disagree...

Stock Manifold, stock head casting (no porting), and stock sized valves, we were able to squeeze out 208whp....on a 2.5l with a 288 conventional (non-roller) camshaft, +4:1 compression...

Mustang Dyno pull. Stock intake manifold, stock TB, stock sized valves.
                            Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 12-13-2018, 06:40 PM.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I think that’s because everyone wants a S50/S52. He obviously knows how to make that power with a M52 because his own junkyard car was one that made it... all with factory parts

Also, how many 2.8L (or even 2.9L) M20s are making 220whp?

Just sayin...

See above post. We have dyno'd many s52's, and they average about 210whp in stock form. Our stock cam rebuilt 3.1/3.2l are making north of 250 with only 1:1 bump in compression and our valve jobs (24v engines).
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:
                              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                              X