RHD light flywheel - review and question re noise when starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RHD light flywheel - review and question re noise when starting

Just got my car running after major motor & trans re-seal - all stock with the RHD 7.5lb flywheel. http://racehead.com.au/products-page...ng-flywheel-2/

The flywheel and its seller are a class act and I so far am finding no down sides. I will note that I am a Grown Ass Man who drives my 100% stock E30 sedan daily and have a very low tolerance for Because Racecar stuff (aka chatter, searching idle etc).

The one annoyance is that it makes a ugly sound when the starter engages and disengages, like a car with a sticky pinion. One guess is this is because of the design with the ring gear being less supported and more likely to "clang" and or flex than the stock boat anchor. I did not lubricate the starter nor new flywheel ring gear. I am using a new stock Sachs clutch.

Anyone experience same? If this is unavoidable I'm still a fan. If it sounds unusual I will I play with shims / dry lubrication?

Starter is stock and cranks like a dream.
    Attached Files

I've had a similar issue, when someone left out the shim between the flywheel and transmission. Additionally, if you tighten all the other bell housing bolts, before tightening the starter bolts, it'll do the same thing.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Good call will try slacking bellhousing and ring gear, tightening together.

By shim you mean one of attached (arrows)?
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm referring to the outer, large, sheet metal shim, correct.
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Well I got that shim at least

I will try to slack and retighten the bellhousing/starter. I don't see any starter to bellhousing shims listed but then I suppose that presumed the factory flywheel.

I also have this question in to RHD.

Comment

Be careful with this issue, the ring gear on the RHD FW is not hardened. Frank who works with me in the shop (fporro here on r3v) had a similar issue and the starter ate the rings gears right off the flywheel after starting the car for 2 weeks in his daily.

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
            I've had a similar issue, when someone left out the shim between the flywheel and transmission. Additionally, if you tighten all the other bell housing bolts, before tightening the starter bolts, it'll do the same thing.

Not quite sure what's meant by this. If you can't tighten the bell housing bolts before the starter, then you would have to loosen the bell housing every time a starter is changed?
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

edit - I didn't see which order you were quoting.

I would like to learn more about the starter eating the ring gear in Frank's car please. Was the root cause determined to be poor alignment/engagement of the two? Surely normal wear on even an unhardened ring gear would never lead to such quick wear?

Comment

Hey r-mm, ForceFirebird is correct. My starter was a bit loose, the sound warned me but I ignored it, so within 2 weeks made a flat spot on flywheel until did not catch anymore.

Not the flywheel fault but my negligence. I order a replacement unit.

Besides rattling at idle it worked flawlessly for a long while.

Comment

Thanks very much for clarifying that. I will keep a close ear for the sound. I believe it is already getting a little bit better. maybe the sharpest machining marks on the fly wheel got knocked off during the first 10 or so starts. Anyway I am relieved to know that you did not identify a bigger flaw with the unit thanks for sharing your experience

Comment

RHD has his flywheels made in Taiwan which typically has good QC. Beyond that Rama is not one to cut corners on anything with his name on it. I installed mine when I did the 5spd swap and am loving it with zero issues....except that now I want more Hp :)
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                      RHD has his flywheels made in Taiwan which typically has good QC. Beyond that Rama is not one to cut corners on anything with his name on it. I installed mine when I did the 5spd swap and am loving it with zero issues....except that now I want more Hp :)
                      Does it rattle at idle on a hot day or when tranny fluid is uber hot ? Any other noises?
                      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                        Does it rattle at idle on a hot day or when tranny fluid is uber hot ? Any other noises?
                        I have a bit of getrag rattle that I don't even notice any more and It never changes regardless of weather or how I drive.
                        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                        Alice the Time Capsule
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                          I have a bit of getrag rattle that I don't even notice any more and It never changes regardless of weather or how I drive.

You'll hear it @ local drive through, regardless of weather.

You'll also feel the need to engage first gear at a bit higher rpm.

Comment

After a 200 mi drive I feel like im hearing what I would describe as a whistle from an hvac blower. Wonder if the ‘open’ design makes some sort of low whistling sound.

I have had the car stall at cold idle a few times and am looking forward to installing my squid chip this wknd which raises idle some.

Comment

I just installed the same flywheel in my 325i. I have the exact same noise when starting. I also know someone local to me who is experiencing the same thing. I have an email into RHD as well.

It's like the starter is binding on the flywheel when I start. It's awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X