This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ieatpeople View Post
    i bought the motor in this condition from another e30 guy, this is what he told me about it. it may be the 289 cam, or maybe he was mistaken. any way to check without removing the cam?

from what i understand and have read, shrick makes a 287, 289, and a 292, so it can't be a 290.

is there a part number on the cam i can see without removing anything but the valve cover?
    the two 'streetable' cams that shrick would make for the M20 is 272, and 288.

288 is pushing it for street use unless you want to idle liks a bigblock chevy on jetfuel....

no such thing as a 290.

Comment

they may have in the past, but now there is only the 272, 284/272, 288 and 304. I'd really like to get my hands on the 304 and see what it can do. :)
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

the guy did mention it idles like a cammed v8. i guess it is the 288 cam
        Originally posted by BillBrasky
        That's like Vlad challenging Chip Foose to a car painting contest.
        Originally posted by acolella76
        i'm pretty sure 'Phillis' is short for syphilis
        2007 CVPI, stock and slow
        1994 tercel, 5efhe swap, i/h/e
        1984 t-type, 5.3/th350 swap in progress

My newest addition:
        Rebecca Arlene, born 4/19/2013

Comment

Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
          Im guessing you want to upgrade your 87 325 to 1.3?

If so then what you want to do is get the 528e 2.7 short block or just the seta pistons and find an 885 i head and put it on the seta short block with all i parts and motronics.

If the 528e has a toothed crank pulley then grab the pulleys and ecu.

If you would take some pictures of your 87 and the 528e It would make it easier for me to tell you what you already have and what you need.

If the 528e head has holes allready drilled for an i cam then get the head also and put an i cam with springs in and you will be good to go with all i parts and motronics
          You have to forgive me I dont have an 87 which is the year when parts are different then 86 and 88 so let me know if your 87 has a toothed crank and if so where is your cps located.
          well the production date of my eta is 04/87 and i believe that all the parts began to change around 7/87 or 8/87. so mine is basically a regular ETA. im going back tomorrow so if remember i will take pics.

Comment

I have updated my OP. Tell me what you think.

I am still trying to find the dates on when 1.1 was introduced and what parts are exactly needed for each year.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
            1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
              I have updated my OP. Tell me what you think.

I am still trying to find the dates on when 1.1 was introduced and what parts are exactly needed for each year.
              I always thought the only difference between 1.1 and 1.3 was the software in the 173 ecu. but im not certain.
              Old and improved:

Comment

Originally posted by EtaSport View Post
                I always thought the only difference between 1.1 and 1.3 was the software in the 173 ecu. but im not certain.
                You are correct it is only an ecu change, fix, upgrade

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
                1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

i just got done a 2.7 swap. havent dynoed yet but im gonna run ms1 or 2 and an 8lb flywheel first. i have the stock seta lower end. domed pistons. stock crank and block. new piston rings, rods and main bearings. an i head with racing double valve springs, all new reinforced rocker arms, 19 lb injectors, wiring harness from an 88, with a 173 in it for now. cut out cat and ran straight pipes and will install 5 inch resonators off of an e36 exhaust to pass inspection. custom dropped suspension with cecotto m3 springs. oil pan is between 2.5 and 3 inches off the ground. maybe. that on flat pavement on a good day lol. im also looking at supercharging it. any suggestions on which kit to go with?i have an aftermarket fule pressure regulator to put on with a gutted stock regulator with a blocked off vacuum nipple to keep a stock 2.5 look.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Does anybody have the details of converting a 87 325e round plug into a 88 325i wiring harness? This is the only part holding up my 2.7i upgrade, engne is built waiting to go in...
                    Thanks,
                    Last edited by Sharino; 05-24-2008, 02:13 PM.
                    www.eurowinnipeg.com
                    www.E30S38.com
                    E30 Mtec2-S38 | V10 TDI treg | E34 M5 | E39 M5 | Corrado turbo VR6

Comment

It should plug right in and work, but you are going to want to run the 88 harness for best results

Comment

Kenika what kind of numbers are you making with your set up. i'm looking at something similar and want to see where you're at if you've dyno'd

also about how much have you spent on the build?
                        Flickr
                        Originally posted by Indecline06
                        For some reason, when I get super duper ultra stoned... The M30 motor reminds me of big bird from sesame street.

Comment

I haven't dyno'd yet because the 86es is in the process of getting a new dash and black carpet, but once she is ready ill post some numbers.

As for cost, I got lucky because I found an 89i parts car for $100 then all I needed was a few gaskets and everything I needed was on the 89i, it took me 3 days to swap parts only because I am addicted to detail. Then I sold all of the old eta parts that were no longer needed and made a great deal of profit of that.

Comment

Originally posted by ieatpeople View Post
                            to clear this up for myself, even though i read this whole thread, i have a 2.7 with an "i" head, a shrick "290" cam, lightweight flywheel, headers, a "173" ecu, and it will have a jimc chip when i install this motor. how much power should this make?, and what might it run in the quarter with a 4.10lsd?

man you should be stoked if you make it into the HIGH 13's

Comment

Originally posted by nineohfour View Post
                              man you should be stoked if you make it into the HIGH 13's
                              I highly doubt you will 13s.. I think jordon's built 2.8 m20 with lots of headwork was only a mid 14 second car. You just cant really get a ton of NA power with the m20, but it is definitely a big step from the eta.
                              Old and improved:

Comment

Originally posted by EtaSport View Post
                                I highly doubt you will 13s.. I think jordon's built 2.8 m20 with lots of headwork was only a mid 14 second car. You just cant really get a ton of NA power with the m20, but it is definitely a big step from the eta.
                                e30s are more fun on the highway anyway!

edit: did not mean to highjack a really good thread. in the process of collecting parts for my 2.7i. almost done. there will be a journalized thread with lots of pics for peeps who want to do it in the future!
                                Last edited by nineohfour; 06-07-2008, 09:57 AM. Reason: sorry

Comment

Working...
                                X