Strange Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Swap

I know this is a bit backwards however I’m hoping someone can help me out.

I have a clean unmolested 84 ETA coupe with 89K on the odometer that I daily drive and I’m looking for a little more power. I recently purchased a 91 sedan with about 75K on the odometer for the motor. I’m going to swap the i motor and transmission in my coupe and would like to put the e motor and transmission in the sedan. I know strictlyeta did it but it wasn’t documented and he said there was an electrical issue. Does anyone know what other issues I will have or solutions to the electronics being different. The 91 sedan is a rust free car and can be a good looking car with not a lot of work so I don’t really want to junk it. I figure my ETA motor isn’t very valuable on its own and its a strong motor so that’s why I want to put it in the 91 sedan.
    sigpic84 325e

What's wrong with just enjoying the cars as is?
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Why not just keep the sedan?

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
        Why not just keep the sedan?
        The sedan needs paint and interior work plus I like having 2 doors. My coupe sat in storage for 10 years and is really clean, it would cost a lot to get the sedan in the same condition.
        sigpic84 325e

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
          What's wrong with just enjoying the cars as is?

I would love to have two e30s however we have a two car garage and I don’t think my wife would be very happy if I kicked her out of her spot. Street parking in my neighborhood can be challenging too. In a perfect world I would keep them both I don’t really have the time or resources for both.
          sigpic84 325e

Comment

Could you buy an i head and do an i head swap on the 325e? Maybe just fix up the sedan and sell it for a profit. You said in your first post it could be a nice car for not a lot of work.

Comment

I guess it just depends on what money means to you. It seems like a waste to part out a 75k mile e30, which is probably worth quite a bit more than just an engine and trans. I would sell that for $3-4k unless it truly trashed. $500 should get you a good motor and trans.

And honestly, if you're just going to get rid of the sedan later do you really want to do a second engine swap? And tie up both garage bays going into the winter while you do it? The answer is no, no you don't. So you either sell the sedan and just buy the parts you need or break the sedan down and scrap the chassis.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

And of course, parting out a perfectly good, solid E30 sedan should get you shunned in the E30 community ;)

Comment

Don't ask for permission, only forgiveness. Start wrenching:)

Comment

Could you buy an i head and do an i head swap on the 325e? Maybe just fix up the sedan and sell it for a profit. You said in your first post it could be a nice car for not a lot of work.
                    Originally I wanted to built a stroker or do the head swap but it seems like a i swap would be less expensive than building a stroker. It sounds like a non SETA head swap won't give me more HP than a regular i swap.
                    sigpic84 325e

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                      I guess it just depends on what money means to you. It seems like a waste to part out a 75k mile e30, which is probably worth quite a bit more than just an engine and trans. I would sell that for $3-4k unless it truly trashed. $500 should get you a good motor and trans.

And honestly, if you're just going to get rid of the sedan later do you really want to do a second engine swap? And tie up both garage bays going into the winter while you do it? The answer is no, no you don't. So you either sell the sedan and just buy the parts you need or break the sedan down and scrap the chassis.
                      I don't want to throw money away so that's the reason I wanted to swap the e motor in. The sedan is a little rough but still not horrible. I'm in Hawaii so pickings are a little slim around here. If I could find a decent motor at a good price I would go that route. I'm not sure if I'm going to come across another low milage motor. When I bought the sedan I was going to pull the motor and sell the shell and e motor separately.
                      sigpic84 325e

Comment

And of course, parting out a perfectly good, solid E30 sedan should get you shunned in the E30 community ;)
                        I know and I wouldn't feel good about doing it either.
                        sigpic84 325e

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                          Don't ask for permission, only forgiveness. Start wrenching:)
                          Lol . Happy spouse, happy house
                          sigpic84 325e

Comment

Working...
                          X