M20 converted to Serpentine belt - Adding supercharger - Take 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 converted to Serpentine belt - Adding supercharger - Take 2

Some of you might remember my first take on this project back in 08 - here is a link for reference - http://www.e30techarchive.com/showth...hp&t=62778.htm

Click image for larger version  Name:	26784980053_large.jpg Views:	5 Size:	66.6 KB ID:	9878492

It worked out but looked like a bowl of pasta for the belt routing, this time is a more conventional stock approach using almost all stock routing and BMW parts.

A preview of work in progress

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-3555 (Small).JPG Views:	6 Size:	98.2 KB ID:	9878485

And allows to run this pulley

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_145170.jpg Views:	5 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	9878486

to run this contraption

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1773 (Small).jpeg Views:	5 Size:	75.5 KB ID:	9878489

to eventually run this setup

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-3476 (Small).JPG Views:	5 Size:	79.0 KB ID:	9878487
    Last edited by whodwho; 10-16-2019, 07:26 AM.
    My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
    4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    What did you do for the CPS?
    I still need to find a sensor and see how it will work. easy enough to make a bracket if not

For timing, I would be running MS or something I can alter the timing wheel configuration, for running a stock ECU I think you could carefully weld up the missing teeth and grind down the new location related to the m20 timing wheel location but not sure how close it would get. something I still have to look into.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-3538 (Small).JPG Views:	110 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	9878497 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-3537 (Small).JPG Views:	106 Size:	62.2 KB ID:	9878498
    Last edited by whodwho; 10-20-2019, 08:20 AM.
    My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

I see the bracket on there, but appears to be the one for m20.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I see the bracket on there, but appears to be the one for m20.
        I am going to run the M20 sensor

Updated and posted pics in the last post
        Last edited by whodwho; 10-16-2019, 07:17 AM.
        My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

Would be best to see a sensor on there. Looks can be deceiving in pics, but appears that the bracket will be too close. Now you have me thinking, I do happen to have an m20 (or 15) laying around the shop, along with 24v crank hubs...
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

Are you using M50 pulleys and tensioners?
            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Would be best to see a sensor on there. Looks can be deceiving in pics, but appears that the bracket will be too close. Now you have me thinking, I do happen to have an m20 (or 15) laying around the shop, along with 24v crank hubs...
              I'm not finding a spare sensor in my piles, I can make a spacer easy enough if so. Looking forward to your take on it 8^)

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
              Are you using M50 pulleys and tensioners?
              Yes all I believe all the pulleys are all M50 ones, I have a box of different ones so not 100% without looking up numbers. Everything but the tensioner is BMW
              My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

Is the water pump directional ? Have you checked the overall drive ratios the different components?
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Water pump is directional, but if you look close, it is driven off the ribbed side of the belt (clockwise when facing the engine). The time you would need revere rotation is when water pump is driven off the smooth side of the belt (counterclockwise).
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

yeah eyes painted on at the moment
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                      Is the water pump directional ? Have you checked the overall drive ratios the different components?
                      Highly directional. These are matching sizes from a M5x, the crank and WP are the same size as the stock M20(145/130mm) but the alternator is ~20mm smaller but thinking of running a larger diameter clutch pulley and slow it down some. I probably will be running a newer alternator so won't be an issue running it as is.

The belt routing is exactly the same as a 24v setup and the same as the M20 they all rotate the same direction.

Click image for larger version

Name:	701ceb4.jpg
Views:	1589
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	9878954
                      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                        i just want to see which part is rubber and some basic dimensions will probably do if it is cut up a bit

i think i have a solution for the ATI option for the M20 that retains all the pulleys locations with little more than some modified front covers. there are a couple of options i came up with based on ATI's initial work to fit their recommended Inertia ring.
                        - one option allows the stock OE crank gear (albeit the new version) and 24V 95mm long centre bolt used for a typical stroker which is ideal. will be discussing with them in coming weeks.
                        - another options a new gear that integrates to the damper but means the big M18 bolt needs to be removed to change the timing belt which is not ideal. this will add a fair bit of cost to the already expensive price so fingers crossed the first option can be taken from concept design to a detail design.
                        Are you looking at using the thin style(VAC) shell with the trigger wheel?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3544 (Small).JPG
Views:	1535
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	9879013
                        My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

Looking for that picture I had seen this picture from after finally stuffing a new motor in it (might make a new thread for that) and seen the spider webs hanging off it and thought I would share

Waiting so patiently for some attention 8^(

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-3516 (Small).JPG Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	9879020

It had been a spider factory for a while now but now they are getting eviction notices, she was not thrilled I was messing with her nests! (being a black car it should make black widows but these are brown widows)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-3371 (Small).JPG Views:	0 Size:	49.4 KB ID:	9879021
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-3378 (Small).JPG Views:	0 Size:	49.0 KB ID:	9879022
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0002 (Small).JPG Views:	0 Size:	48.7 KB ID:	9879023
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-3398 (Small).JPG Views:	0 Size:	69.2 KB ID:	9879025
                          My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

Keith!! Glad to see you back man. I see you still have the mtech2 I sold you, nice! Let me know if you ever decide to part with it or pieces from it. I miss it haha.
                            E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by bimma360 View Post
                              Keith!! Glad to see you back man. I see you still have the mtech2 I sold you, nice! Let me know if you ever decide to part with it or pieces from it. I miss it haha.
                              It's nice to be back at it, I miss seeing it on your car as well but not as much as I would on mine!! 8^)

What was the final outcome of all the changes on yours?
                              My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

Working...
                              X