No announcement yet.

M20 converted to Serpentine belt - Adding supercharger - Take 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, no, and a big no. You wouldn't catch me with spiders in my hand like that!
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

The reason why the pic of my hand was so nasty ass dirty, so sad to see them like this after the last time seeing them all new

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160505_182652 (Small).JPG
Views:	661
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	9879212

Name:	IMG-3366 (Small).JPG
Views:	666
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	9879210

Name:	IMG-3367 (Small).JPG
Views:	674
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	9879211
      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
      4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
        No, no, and a big no. You wouldn't catch me with spiders in my hand like that!
        ahh, she would only give you a little love bite!!
        My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
          i think i have a solution for the ATI option for the M20 that retains all the pulleys locations with little more than some modified front covers. there are a couple of options i came up with based on ATI's initial work to fit their recommended Inertia ring.
          - one option allows the stock OE crank gear (albeit the new version) and 24V 95mm long centre bolt used for a typical stroker which is ideal. will be discussing with them in coming weeks.
          - another options a new gear that integrates to the damper but means the big M18 bolt needs to be removed to change the timing belt which is not ideal. this will add a fair bit of cost to the already expensive price so fingers crossed the first option can be taken from concept design to a detail design.

Originally posted by whodwho View Post

Are you looking at using the thin style(VAC) shell with the trigger wheel?
          Another teaser pic, seems to align up nicely, I have some parts on the way to see if I can mock something up for a hub

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-3567 (Small).JPG Views:	0 Size:	91.7 KB ID:	9879458
          My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

And a quick mockup of the SC

Name:	IMG-3579 (Small).JPG
Views:	719
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	9879462

And starting with stock manifold and small aftercooler

Name:	IMG-3583 (Small).JPG
Views:	687
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	9879463
            My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

Are you looking at using the thin style(VAC) shell with the trigger wheel?

Name:	IMG-3544 (Small).JPG
Views:	1566
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	9879013
              same style, its got the toothed wheel, probably the same 7" inertia ring inside the shell.

89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

It's nice to be back at it, I miss seeing it on your car as well but not as much as I would on mine!! 8^)

What was the final outcome of all the changes on yours?
                Hahaha touché. The final outcome is about the same as yours. Lots and lots of spiders. Car has been sitting for quite some time now. I've been accumulating some parts here and there over the last few years, and am finally working my way to starting to get it back on the road. Just gotta sell the ex-daily e36 M3 to free up space in the garage. I am really looking forward to see what you do with the SC setup though! I may want to look into that route instead of stroking the m20.
                E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by bimma360 View Post

Hahaha touché. The final outcome is about the same as yours. Lots and lots of spiders. Car has been sitting for quite some time now. I've been accumulating some parts here and there over the last few years, and am finally working my way to starting to get it back on the road. Just gotta sell the ex-daily e36 M3 to free up space in the garage. I am really looking forward to see what you do with the SC setup though! I may want to look into that route instead of stroking the m20.
                  I hope you get it back up and running, I have really missed driving mine 8^(

You need to stroke it and then boost it!
                  My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

Finally got back to this a little and well it is more of a take 1.5, decided to see how it would play with a stock setup first and expand it from there.

Started with a CAD - C = Cardboard... 8^)

Then to MDF - then to T6 aluminum

That is some tuff stuff, cut with a jig saw and tore up a few nice Bosch metal blades. Finished with a bit of die grinder work.

Can't see in the last pic but trying to fit with ABS still in place 8^)

Last edited by whodwho; 04-06-2020, 07:16 AM.
                    My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

Can't upload files anymore, I get a 'your file is corrupt' error so trying links to gdrive hopefully it works ok (sorry it looks like it posts a bit large)

I fired up the lathe and exchanged out stacks of washers for proper spacers

Changed out the standoff that goes between the TB tensioner and timing cover with long stud and spacer (anybody do palm reading?!?)

Made a nice mount to the engine lift bracket

Added support for fore and aft

Got the SC tensioner added

Added this little piece of PSSHT

Also working on a clutch project, I think the current flywheel was not surfaced correctly for the step and feels like it doesn't have enough clamp(one more thing to add to the list of things to measure) and is slipping and figured the SC setup would like a little extra r3v

Choice of Tilton cerametallic rally disc or Sachs organic or I have other covers hoarded up that I can run both 8^)

Undrilled button flywheel I have to find to someone to machine up

And the old flex plate from my auto I have been hoarding knowing it would come in handy one day... 8^)

Last edited by whodwho; 04-06-2020, 07:15 AM.
                      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

I haven’t seen a successfully supercharged M20 and it looks like you’re doing a proper job. Very cool watching this come together, I bet the supercharger will put it at a fun power level.

Comment

Fixed the broken pics in the old posts

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
                          I haven’t seen a successfully supercharged M20 and it looks like you’re doing a proper job. Very cool watching this come together, I bet the supercharger will put it at a fun power level.
                          Thank you, I am spending a bit more time on this setup and have a better parts collection to work with. I ran my last one for a few years even for being a janky setup, it started out a proof of concept but it ran and worked so I just drove it 8^)

Last edited by whodwho; 04-05-2020, 08:07 AM.
                          My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

Procured belts and got the power steering pump situated

And a pic of the boostie boys 8^)

My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

In car fitment test, looking like it will play nicely in there 8^)

Plenty of room for the 7-rib when the time comes for the bigger SC

There is a little more clearance than this looks like but I can add a washer under the rubber rad mounts if needed

This is the area that had the least clearance, this without any modification of the brackets. I will probably need to clearance slightly for motor movement

I got some long drill bits for the lathe and will make spacers for this strut and still adding another one when I get some longer m8 allthread

My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

6' of new stock for struts and spacers and all-thread

Another strut added

Mounted up the PS pump(hose has been rerouted)

Moved the reservoir to evap can mount, new reservoir with angled nipples

Made up ICV hoses

Test fit after-cooler coolant tank from the S54 SC setup

Made a support bracket for the radiator, the stock one gets a bit tweaked with Mishimoto radiators being a touch taller and then with shimming it up slightly

Currently how it sits, oil lines are next and then mount the cooler radiator and run coolant lines from tank cooler and rad
                                Last edited by whodwho; 05-04-2020, 06:17 AM.
                                My M20 Frankenbuild(s)

Comment

Working...
                                X