3.0 M20 Stroker project and restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.0 M20 Stroker project and restomod

Hey all i just wanted to share the project i am in the middle of working on and seek some advice for items i haven't yet gotten to.

The Basics:
    The car started life as a 4 door 1985 auto 325e. It was my first car and I got it from the original owner who did a European delivery. I have own for over 20 years and have always kept it through high school & cross country moves and newer cars. It has never failed me and has honestly been the most reliable car I've owned after 8 BMWs.

So the concept in the most basic form is to make what would be an e30 ZHP after the e46 330 ZHP.

Engine
    m20B25
    135MM rods
    M52 2.8 Crank
    IE Custom Pistons
    IE Windage tray
    IE oil baffle
    Bored block
    Headers
    M20b25 wiring converted over from b27 wiring

Trans
    G260 Trans
    Manual swap etc

Interior
    interior redone with Sport seats
    Black headliner

Exterior
    M Tech 1 front and rear bumpers
    IS trunk Spoiler ( i like the subtly better than the MT1 spoiler)
    Euroweave wheels

Vert front Sway Bar
    IX rear Sway Bar
    e46 ZHP rack

Upgraded 134a AC ( i live in Florida so i need AC)

I think that's the list of stuff done or currently being done.

This car won't be raced just driven spiritedly and won't even be my main car. I just want it as reliable as it was, considering all the mods to the engine.

I am wondering what would be the best cam for this? I have read good things about the 272 being a good mild option. But then read others where its not a good idea for even a 2.7i.

Also thoughts on ECU?

Im sure a standalone will be in the cards eventually but will a chipped 173 ECU run in this configuration? What will be the best standalone for this build?

Lastly: In keeping with the theme; what would everyone suggest to be a spring and shock configuration for the car that would be similar to how the normal e46 330 is vs the 330zhp? I've driven in them and they are definitely firmer and more sporty but not harsh. I basically want that.

thanks for the input!

Glad to see another M20 stroker build! Your combo is more like a 2.9L than a 3L unless I missed something. Did you use the 85mm IE Mahle 2.9L pistons made to work with the 885 head and m52b28 crank/rods?

You could likely get away with the IE billet 284/280, or the Schrick 284/272, as the displacement will eat up a bit of duration, but if it's just a fun street car I'd probably go 272 and call it a day. Stay away from regrinds. You could also do a 284 and if it's too top end heavy for you, you could just advance it a few degrees.

Mild stroker can easily be done with a chipped 173 (see, SSSquid "Stage 2") for simplicity given your stated use above.

I think most would agree that Megasquirt is ideal, but not necessary for what you're seeking. I am building a similar engine and just sold my standalone to keep my stock ECU for simplicity.

For shocks/struts I really like Konis, they are less harsh than Bilsteins in my experience. For springs, I'd try to find E30M3 springs for the perfect fit- if you can't, H&R sports will do the trick.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Hey, thanks for the response! I was going off what IE was saying based on bore, Stroke and CR being a 3. They said it was something like 2968cm. I could have heard and written it wrong. Im fine with a 2.9. I wasnt going for a specific number just a much more fun M20. But yes 885 head, 2.9 pistons and bore.

Any reason why you're against regrinds? I did one on my M30 years ago and it was fine.

Do i need M50 injectors i see written about for these builds? in relation to the chipped ECU?

Also forgot to mention i might want to remove to AFM in the future for a MAF. Is that only for a standalone like MS?

Any specific Konis?

Thanks again!

Comment

Reads a lot like a stroker I built a handful of years ago. I did go with the Megasquirt standalone system because I had high compression pistons and a bigger cam (284). I'm no expert on these things but I would imagine if your setup gets any more aggressive, you would want some type of standalone and more than just a chip.

Not sure where you are in your planning/building but ForcedFirebird has lots of m20 experience and is also in Florida. He's a possible person to get some head work done if that's what you're after.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

I'd run it in on motronic to start with appropriate injectors (even a stock chip is fine with proportionally sized injectors for run in) and then get standalone afterwards incase you get teething issues you dont want to be running in on a POS tune.
          the billet 284/280 should be fine as would a schrick 284/272 or 272/272, i wouldn't get the regrind as a 2V stroker needs lift and the regrinds don't give much lift.
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

thanks everyone. good stuff!

Comment

Sounds like a good plan. As mentioned we are in Florida, a but south of you by a few hour drive (Pompano Beach/Ft. Lauderdale). I own a small e30/m20 specialty shop. Let us know if you need anything, even shipping would be very reasonable. We have hundreds, if not thousands, of m20 and e30/e36 Dyno tests and chips (we can live tune the stock ECU)

We have 3 2.8 m20's in the process of being built ATM. They are using OE replacement Euro pistons (10.5:1+ after stroking), 84mm cranks, 140mm rods, .5mm block decks. We have built several budget strokers (81mm crank, 130mm rods, b25 pistons, 2mm off the block), and they are pretty stout as well (170-180whp in otherwise stock engines).

My fist e30 was also an ETA (86 325es), but not quite 20yr, closer to 15yr ago. :)
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                Sounds like a good plan. As mentioned we are in Florida, a but south of you by a few hour drive (Pompano Beach/Ft. Lauderdale). I own a small e30/m20 specialty shop. Let us know if you need anything, even shipping would be very reasonable. We have hundreds, if not thousands, of m20 and e30/e36 Dyno tests and chips (we can live tune the stock ECU)

We have 3 2.8 m20's in the process of being built ATM. They are using OE replacement Euro pistons (10.5:1+ after stroking), 84mm cranks, 140mm rods, .5mm block decks. We have built several budget strokers (81mm crank, 130mm rods, b25 pistons, 2mm off the block), and they are pretty stout as well (170-180whp in otherwise stock engines).

My fist e30 was also an ETA (86 325es), but not quite 20yr, closer to 15yr ago. :)
                When the world isn't a dumpster fire I actually go to Miami once a month for work. So Ill look ya up once I get to ecu work. The engine physically is set. I am just waiting on the pistons to get here. The CR will be 10:1 so it sounds close to the ones your making.

Comment

Working...
                X