Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this block toast?

Pulled my head off and noticed some scoring on the cylinder wall of #6

The scoring is the worse at the top and this is the worse cylinder.

My question is for the experts here. Can this be saved or should I just find a block and put this above the fireplace? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6855.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	9938410
    Originally posted by wholepailofwater
    Q
    :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

if it catches a finger nail when you drag it across it, it will be causing wear, If you are going to bore the block out and use new pistons,its fine....

Comment

Why did you pull the head ?
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I'm not an M20 guru but I've been through enough engines to tell you I don't think the fingernail test is needed in this case, some of that scoring is deep enough to be an issue just by the look of it. No indication of a junk block though, that's nothing some boring out wouldn't fix provided there are no cracks you can't see in the picture. Of course boring it out and replacing the pistons with oversized will likely cost a good bit more than a good shortblock.

I hope you have one heck of a mantel if that's going above the fireplace

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
          Why did you pull the head ?
          The engine was honestly running okay, but the head gasket was leaking oil from the front left corner, which is why I pulled the head off.

Also, when I sent the head off to the machine shop, they replaced the valves on this same cylinder.
          Last edited by MrBurgundy; 07-14-2020, 08:31 AM.
          Q

Comment

The engine did not have any compression issues, oil consumption or smoking. I'm thinking I just send this...

The deepest scores are at the top of the cylinder which seem to be beyond where the rings land at TDC, but I'm all ears to any opinion before I commit to a plan
            Q

Comment

the pics make it look a lot worse than it probably is in person - scoring is never a good thing, though. you might pull the pan and that piston and run a hone through it, and see what happens. you don't really have anything to lose, but time.

the way i see it, it's a good excuse to get some oversized pistons :)
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
                the pics make it look a lot worse than it probably is in person - scoring is never a good thing, though. you might pull the pan and that piston and run a hone through it, and see what happens. you don't really have anything to lose, but time.

the way i see it, it's a good excuse to get some oversized pistons :)
                Man, the oversized piston route is expensive.... I have too many other projects to full send what started out as an oil leak repair LOL

But yeah, I think the pic does make it seem worse than it is. Idk how effective a deglazing hone is going to be, but I think as of rn that's what I'm going to do and slap it back together since it had good compression and wasn't smoking or anything crazy.

Q

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

The engine was honestly running okay, .
                  then it'll likely still run ok, not as good as it can but maybe good enough for your needs.

89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

then it'll likely still run ok, not as good as it can but maybe good enough for your needs.
                    It's a street car

Should I even bother with a deglazing hone? I'm doing an oil pan gasket too, so pulling the pistons out isn't a big deal to me,.
                    Q

Comment

idk personally i wouldn't bother, just button it up with the least amount of effort as it may not even address the issue (may need a rigid hone to be corrected). maybe you'd want to make sure there are no raised bits but you could do that with some wet or dry by rotating until pistons was at BDC making sure you clean thoroughly

It depends what your longer term goals are like if you ever plan to rebuild.......

Comment

Have you tried a scuff pad soaked with some oil and ran it around the cylinder and see if it cleaned it up? Hard to tell from the pictures how deep those marks are.
                        2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

idk personally i wouldn't bother, just button it up with the least amount of effort as it may not even address the issue (may need a rigid hone to be corrected). maybe you'd want to make sure there are no raised bits but you could do that with some wet or dry by rotating until pistons was at BDC making sure you clean thoroughly

It depends what your longer term goals are like if you ever plan to rebuild.......
                          I actually just got that piston out and the sides are fine...

The car was pulling fine before I opened it. This all started out with an oil leak at the head gasket and now... Here I am... LOL

Anyways, my long term goals are a nice running stock m20 and I think I can wring this out for a while.

I wish I had a rigid honer here.. Just got the deglazing one, so I'm going to run it just to make sure there's nothing, like you said, raised, but judging by the sides of the piston, I don't think there's anything there. May as well, since I'm doing rod bearings..

Thanks guys, much appreciated

Q

Comment

If the piston skirts do not show any wear,Deglaze,New bearings and re ring, that m20 should last you another 65k+ miles ...Main bearing bolts are re usable but i would order OEM bmw rod bolts,
                            https://www.amazon.com/BMW-589-Engin.../dp/B00KWD3YGC
                            There is a link to OEM Rod bolts on Amazon for 7$ each..

Make sure to keep each piston in its respective cylinder, make sure to keep each rod cap on the respective Rod, Make sure Each Main bearing cap returns to its respective place, Do not mix anything up. make sure to Number and label everything!!!

Might as well have the block decked!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
                              Have you tried a scuff pad soaked with some oil and ran it around the cylinder and see if it cleaned it up? Hard to tell from the pictures how deep those marks are.
                              Scuff pads like scotchbrite are filled with abrasives that can fall into the cylinder wall or become embedded in the surface of cast iron. Not recommended, but probably isn't the end of the world.

Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Working...
                              X