Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing fuel lines in engine: Question on a connecting piece... needed or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing fuel lines in engine: Question on a connecting piece... needed or not?

Hi peeps,
    About to replace my fuel lines in the engine.
    I see there is some sort of connecting piece that splits both lines.
    Is this a stock factory thing?
    Do I need to maintain this or can I run one length from the metal line by the firewall to the engine?

I am also trying to keep this car as visually stock as possible, so if keeping this does not affect anything, I would rather keep it.
    If, on the other hand, it might improve fuel delivery some, then I would remove it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3900.jpeg
Views:	381
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	9980089

it's not necessary. some cars had them, some didn't. were it my car, i would just eliminate it and keep things clean looking. good on you for replacing fuel hose.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

thank you !
      appreciate the input.

Comment

IMO use genuine or good quality OEM brand hoses, the rubber is far superior to what you get at the local autoparts store
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
          IMO use genuine or good quality OEM brand hoses, the rubber is far superior to what you get at the local autoparts store
          I sure did : ) shelled out the $34 for a 1 meter OEM from FCP. x 2

now researching that curved hose that goes to the fuel rail... wondering if there is a long enough OEM replacement from fuel rail (with the 90 degree bend ) down to the metal line...

Comment

Originally posted by NYCDelphin View Post

I sure did : ) shelled out the $34 for a 1 meter OEM from FCP. x 2

now researching that curved hose that goes to the fuel rail... wondering if there is a long enough OEM replacement from fuel rail (with the 90 degree bend ) down to the metal line...
            Continental, CRP, or Gates FI lines are all good things, and you ought to be able to get away without any molded hoses.

Comment

noted roguetoaster.
              may have to go that route...

Comment

Yeah it seems that would just be a problem prone junction for no reason. If you're changing lines anyway, just run continuous lines. I bought a few meters of CRP hose and it was enough to do a few cars. I do not want my cars going up in flames due to 30 year old hoses. For some reason, these easy to change hoses are often overlooked.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I would not use the white label Conti / CRP 5bar 8mm fuel hose(16 12 1 180 409), It used to come with green label and that stuff was great.

Had to replace many hoses in the last few years that were done already in the white label stuff that has started to deteriorate, One car was leaking.. So frustrating.

Currently i use the 6 bar Blue label 8MM fuel hose (13 53 7 563 456), A bit pricey but fell like quality stuff and lays down nice in the bends. Not waiting to kink.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                  @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                    Yeah it seems that would just be a problem prone junction for no reason. If you're changing lines anyway, just run continuous lines. I bought a few meters of CRP hose and it was enough to do a few cars. I do not want my cars going up in flames due to 30 year old hoses. For some reason, these easy to change hoses are often overlooked.
                    agreed. the continuous line looks a lot better...
                    thing is.. the hose to the fuel rail from the metal line might be a tad longer than 1 meter since it runs alongside the injectors under the intake..
                    I may have to use a connector piece.. the $35 OEM BMW hose comes in 1 meter piece... will see how it goes this weekend..

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                      I would not use the white label Conti / CRP 5bar 8mm fuel hose(16 12 1 180 409), It used to come with green label and that stuff was great.

Had to replace many hoses in the last few years that were done already in the white label stuff that has started to deteriorate, One car was leaking.. So frustrating.

Currently i use the 6 bar Blue label 8MM fuel hose (13 53 7 563 456), A bit pricey but fell like quality stuff and lays down nice in the bends. Not waiting to kink.

I picked up this: BMW-16121180409 from FCP.
                      looks good...

Comment

Originally posted by NYCDelphin View Post

I picked up this: BMW-16121180409 from FCP.
                        looks good...
                        I think so, I even went to genuine bulk Power Steering Hose from BMW as the CRP / Conti stuff was kinking to easy and could tell the quality was less than it used to be...

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                        X