M20 manifold removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 manifold removal

Does anyone have experience removing the oem manifolds and replacing it with headers? Tips tricks etc how long should I soak in pb etc
    Last edited by billythekid; 04-12-2021, 09:38 AM.

My best tip is to have a variety of tools to try to reach all the bolts. Soak them as long as you want to I'd say you still have about a 50/50 shot of getting just the nut vs getting the nut and the stud.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

the best stuff for penetrating and loosening is acetone mixed 50/50 with ATF
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
        This works great in a chemical wash bottle

I've never had an issue removing manifold bolts on an M20. Sure they're old and seized but I've never snapped one with brute force and ignorance... unlike the 24v engines.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

the (original) nuts are copper. so if you strip one, they're actually pretty easy to cut or crush without damaging the studs.

Of course on a car this old, somebody could have replaced them with steel and they could be rusted right on. so, good luck..
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
            Interesting, I'm gonna try this mix next time I need to remove a stubborn exhaust nut.
            sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
            X