Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is everyone buying their Exhaust Gas Analyzer? To properly adjust their AFM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is everyone buying their Exhaust Gas Analyzer? To properly adjust their AFM

I have an AFM that have been previously adjusted. I want to readjust it properly, and I know to do that requires an Exhaust Gas Analyzer.

Where can I locate a sub $300 Exhaust Gas Analyzer that will do the job? I tried Googling, looking on Amazon.com (my preferred place to purchase) and I am not having any luck.

I don't know anyone who still uses an Exhaust gas analyzer machine (other than smog shops) anymore. They are more of a relic these days. There are Wideband O2 sensor kits that could be had for around $100 or less. It won't break down HC/CO and NOx but it'll let you know your fuel mixture ratio. You get your HC/CO/NOx readings each time you smog your car.

By the way, here's an analyzer on Amazon for $3500

Last edited by reelizmpro; 04-13-2021, 12:10 PM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      I don't know anyone who still uses an Exhaust gas analyzer machine (other than smog shops) anymore. They are more of a relic these days. There are Wideband O2 sensor kits that could be had for around $100 or less. It won't break down HC/CO and NOx but it'll let you know your fuel mixture ratio. You get your HC/CO/NOx readings each time you smog your car.

By the way, here's an analyzer on Amazon for $3500

https://www.amazon.com/Gas-CO2-NOx-E...8340905&sr=8-2
      Thank you for that. The thing is, whenever someone mentions the need to adjust their AFM the response is always "you need an Exhaust Gas Analyzer" to adjust that screw. It seems that is still the go to comment when someone asks about adjusting their AFM.

Will a Wideband 02 Sensor allow me to properly adjust my AFM as an Exhaust Gas Analyzer could?

A Wideband 02 Sensor such as this (not looking to do any enhancements to the car, just properly adjust the AFM to stock levels):
      https://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Moto...8358212&sr=8-4

Comment

Are you only adjusting the AFM to change the AFR or is there some sort of emissions goal for CO, HC, CO2, O2, and NOx? (I mean, even if this is for some sort of smog test, it would still be cheaper to set it by AFR and adjust based on smog test results)

If you're just adjusting it to correct AFRs, any regular Wideband O2 sensor/controller/gauge setup should work fine
        Plenty of options from Spartan, Innovate, PLX, AEM, and more.

It doesn't even need to be as fancy as that LM2 you linked, but the LM2 would avoid the effort of wiring power/GND/etc., and I'm sure you can take a datalog with it somehow to review after
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
          Are you only adjusting the AFM to change the AFR or is there some sort of emissions goal for CO, HC, CO2, O2, and NOx? (I mean, even if this is for some sort of smog test, it would still be cheaper to set it by AFR and adjust based on smog test results)

If you're just adjusting it to correct AFRs, any regular Wideband O2 sensor/controller/gauge setup should work fine
          Plenty of options from Spartan, Innovate, PLX, AEM, and more.

It doesn't even need to be as fancy as that LM2 you linked, but the LM2 would avoid the effort of wiring power/GND/etc., and I'm sure you can take a datalog with it somehow to review after
          Thank you for the response.

All I am trying to do is adjust the screw on top of the AFM to provide the proper CO% per the Bentley manual.

Comment

Originally posted by IS300E30 View Post

Thank you for the response.

All I am trying to do is adjust the screw on top of the AFM to provide the proper CO% per the Bentley manual.
            You are going about this all wrong. Each AFM has the correct depth for that screw specified on the body. Most likely your vehicle issue is not related to that screw but related to the calibration of the spring inside the AFM. The best way to go about this is to send the AFM to us because we refurbish many thousands of AFMs every year and have the calibration data on hand. You can try to do it yourself but you may end up spending more on equipment, labor and time.
            Owner - Bavarian Restoration
            BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
            www.BavRest.com
            My Feedback Thread
            Our Facebook!
            Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post

You are going about this all wrong. Each AFM has the correct depth for that screw specified on the body. Most likely your vehicle issue is not related to that screw but related to the calibration of the spring inside the AFM. The best way to go about this is to send the AFM to us because we refurbish many thousands of AFMs every year and have the calibration data on hand. You can try to do it yourself but you may end up spending more on equipment, labor and time.
              Send it to them and have them refresh it. I had an AFM worked over by them for my m30 car and it was amazing quality work.
              sigpic
              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post

Thank you,

I sent a PM to you to get some info, as I might look to go the refurbished route.
                ​​​​
                Last edited by IS300E30; 04-21-2021, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X