Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any updates on this?

Comment

Interesting. I've made zero progress on my swap because I'm having a hell of a time finding a manual tranny to fit an M30 (Saskatchewan not exactly being a Mecca of vintage BMW enthusiasts). I'd read that an M30 auto just wouldn't fit so I hadn't even considered it, but if this project works out I might just swap the auto in so I can enjoy the M30 while I keep looking for a 5-speed. Both my 325i and the donor e34 are autos.

Comment

Anything can fit with enough use of a sledgehammer :)

Comment

Updates above. I lost my job right before Thanksgiving and have been a bit occupied trying to get re-employed.
          HE>i
          89 335i m30 power, 4hp22 delivery

Comment

OK moving along. Exhaust system is made up of e23 manifolds, e30m20 downpipes and a few odds-n-ends to get from the downpipes to the remainder of the front cat section.

Here's where I cut the front section:

HE>i

Comment

Before getting the exhaust hooked up, I noticed that the rack-to-oil pan clearance was tight. Perhaps only a mm or two:

I slipped some large nylon spacers between the mount arms and the stock m20 motor mounts. The spacers are really just large nylon washers about 3mm thick, and did the trick. I tried 6mm spacers, but I didn't have enough thread on the motor mount stud (I didn't feel like turning them over - that might have worked, but I like the raised " button" on the bottom).

With the additional 3mm; I am guessing the rubber in the mounts will settle over time and the 6mm spacers may come in handy:
              HE>i

Comment

Why not just use the m20 harness? Much easier than rewiring the m30 one.

Comment

Originally posted by travish325 View Post
                  Why not just use the m20 harness? Much easier than rewiring the m30 one.
                  Well, in my haste to liquidate the remains of the m20, I wasn't thinking and sold the injector harness with the rest of the parts, so I really only had half an m20 harness.

It seemed to be about the same amount of work either way. Maybe not.
                  HE>i

Comment

I think only a few wires need extended on the m20 harness all the plug ins are the same though. Most swaps Ive seen the m20 harness is used. Either way cool project!

Comment

Here are the two m20 downpipes with added lengths. The two sections are "reversed" from the original placement on the m20, where I used the short stubby section with the flex to get clear of the firewall. I brazed an o2 sensor bung onto the straight section since I cut out the portion that had it originally. I am thinking there is a way to use it. "Next Time". The o2 will only be reading from the front 3 cylinders, but I don't think that's really going to be a big deal.

Oh I forgot to mention: I used the e23 manifolds since the e34 ones were too close to the mount arm. That was before I picked up a welder, so I'll be looking for a way to use the larger e34 manifolds and downpipes "Next Time"..
                      HE>i

Comment

Just about ready to fire it up....I had to fab a bracket for the kickdown cable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366570656.884814.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	7153755
                        HE>i

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Hi, thanks for doing this swap, it's the only one i can find... I'm staring mine now as well... '89 325i vert auto (dead m20)... found a running 735il (b35) and am getting the complete engine/ ecu and bell housing from it... ebay mounts from england are ordered... stahl headers for a 635 already in the garage and crossing my fingers that they fit without mods...

The only questions I have are...
                            -are there different models of bell housing from the m30?
                            -will the m20 harness work out ok with everything (other than extending injector wires)?
                            -any electronic hookups i need to know about on bell housing that could cause a problem?
                            -any other hick ups i should know about?

Other than those things, it seems like a plug n play kind of deal, right?
                            Thanks,
                            David
                            sigpic
                            Streetable poly mounts, trans mounts are here!
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ght=streetable
                            '94 318i
                            '07 335i
                            '11 X5
                            '89 325ic m30b35

Comment

oh, i forgot... what have you done with the cooling system?
                              thanks again
                              sigpic
                              Streetable poly mounts, trans mounts are here!
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ght=streetable
                              '94 318i
                              '07 335i
                              '11 X5
                              '89 325ic m30b35

Comment

Awesome swap! I have dreamed before about doing somthing similar. I read somewhere, maybe even in this thread, that someone offers high-stall speed torque converters for m30's. The idea of a "muscle car" e30 build with an m30 backed by an auto with a high-stall converter is pretty tempting!

Have fun!
                                -Doug

Comment

Working...
                                X