X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    hell ya finally.
    just saying i had a cat cam that floated the valves. it wouldn't make power past 5k
    using the ie springs fixed that problem.

Leave a comment:

• st.petebiodiesel
    replied
    Finally got it running!!!
    Bought a set of IE/Bimmerheads HD rocker arms.

I even went back to using the stock B35 valve springs. Previously I was running the Ireland Engineering race springs which according to Jeff at Ireland are only 25% stronger then stock B35 springs.
    I had to make this ghetto valve spring compressor with an old rocker as I couldn't get my c clamp compressor to squeeze the springs enough.

Worked great. I had to put a plastic wedge between the cam and the compressor/rocker to get enough lift to get the collets out.
    All back together.

Here she is up and running.

It's currently running on microsquirt Alpha N. That's right, MICROSQUIRT! I'll make a separate post detailing the microsquirt install.
    I still have the motronic harness installed just in case I get stranded and need to switch it back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    Man, what a pain. Kudos to you for seeing it through, and thankfully your cam made it out okay!

Leave a comment:

• Anthony B
    replied
    That’s a real shame, I may lean towards the metric mechanic option now.

Leave a comment:

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    i've been through something like this. it's a huge lose i'm sorry.
    The up side is whoever googles about this rocker will know they are a pile of garbage.

The ie rockers have been good to mine they are heavily heavily abused for acouple years now
    just make sure they are adjusted tight. rockers brake because they are too loose and get hammered.

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    holy smokes thats so frustrating! Would love to hear some lopey idle clips when this is back together :devil:

Leave a comment:

• gnmzl
    replied
    So sad to read this...
    Hopefully you get it on the road once more and never have to go through this crap again.
    Oh, I love your garage!

Leave a comment:

• st.petebiodiesel
    replied
    Guys, this is always hard to admit but I've had quite the streak of bad luck.
    I got my head back from the machine shop. All new exhaust guides, good as new.

I assembled the head installing my new indestructible K&M steel rocker arms, rocker locks and high lift high duration camshaft.
    Got it running with break in oil, even took it to a car show with some friends. It sounded super mean at idle.

Later the next day the engine developed a terrible tick. I attempted to diagnose the source and prudently decided to pull the head to find the source. My brand new rocker failed in 300 miles!

How could this happen? I thought these were the last set of rockers I would ever have to buy.
    I contacted K&M Cams and they promptly sent me a replacement rocker.
    I assembled the valve train and ran the engine once again. It had an even louder knock now. Apparently I now had a bent valve that no longer would return until tapped by the piston.
    So once again, head back off again.

I have no idea what would cause the valve to bend especially at the top portion of the valve stem.

I replaced the valve with a good used one, re assembled the engine and drove it for another 300 miles before it developed a familiar sounding tick. I pulled the valve cover and now I have another rocker pad excessively worn attempting to ruin my brand new cam.
    I don't understand why my rockers are failing. New camshaft, new rockers, new valve springs, retainers, and collets.
    I'm even running a ZDDP addative.
    So basically I spent $500 on rockers that fail randomly every 300 miles. 1st failure was #1 intake, second failure #4 intake. My cam isn't damaged so I assume the rockers were improperly heat treated or something. I know I have sufficient lubrication. I even ran my engine breifly with the valve cover off. (Don't do this unless necessary, it makes a huge mess)

I'm going back to the IE HD rockers. The failure rate on the K&M steel rockers is unreal.

Last edited by st.petebiodiesel; 03-17-2019, 06:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    That’s the dbilas 290 from that group but correct? I’ll totes buy it from ya once you go turbo.

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    holy lobes, congrats on the garage!

also your dog changed colors, what gives?

Leave a comment:

• st.petebiodiesel
    replied
    Check out these lobes!

Had a fun time getting the cam nut off the old cam. They are torqued to 100 ftlbs.

Cam specs:
    duration intake/exhaust 290/290
    Lift intake/exhaust 11mm/11mm
    Lobe separation angle 108.
    Degrees of overlap 13
    Lift at TDC I/E. 2.5mm/2.5mm
    Probably not going to run this cam when I turbo the car.

Leave a comment:

• lukeADE335i
    replied
    That's awesome! I won't share a pic of mine as it has structural issues that have resulted in the floor cracking and dropping a foot in the middle of the garage! Still using it for storage, but you can't get a car in there.

Nice work on the porta cot in the garage... you can tinker with the e30 AND keep an eye on your baby at the same time :)

Leave a comment:

• st.petebiodiesel
    replied
    The garage is complete!

The baby and the dog are just as excited as I am.

Finally had the e30 towed over to it's new home.

I'm having my camshaft and valve train parts delivered tomorrow. If the machine shop finishes replacing my valve guides in a timely manner then I should be putting this head back together within a week.

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    Originally posted by st.petebiodiesel View Post
    I've never bought anything from MM, but I have read people expressing their discontent for that shop in forums.
    I bought my rockers from Pure PF in Sweden. Took about a week from ordering till they were delivered and cost $520 shipped.

One thing about the steel rockers is that they don't use a softer bearing material at the rocker shaft, is just steel on steel. We will see how long they last.
    The MM ones are $50ea, they said it'd be $625 out the door after shipping. I think I'll just get the IE HD ones when the time comes, with those eBay rocker locks you showed me.

Leave a comment:

• st.petebiodiesel
    replied
    Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
    Awesome progress on the garage, and your brother's car is probably a blast to drive! Also, did you see Metric Mechanics just released an M10/M30 rocker arm? I sent them an email inquiring about price.
    I've never bought anything from MM, but I have read people expressing their discontent for that shop in forums.
    I bought my rockers from Pure PF in Sweden. Took about a week from ordering till they were delivered and cost $520 shipped.

One thing about the steel rockers is that they don't use a softer bearing material at the rocker shaft, is just steel on steel. We will see how long they last.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X