1987 325e sedan M30B35 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wworm View Post
    So good to know! My i cluster in my eta car seems to work but rather inaccurately (reads as full until i get to about a half tank then fluctuates around half until its very close to empty and then reads almost empty). I still have the e cluster, would swapping the tachs and putting the e cluster back in solve my floppy gas gauge issue?

Not guaranteeing anything, but I remember reading that the e gas gauge is different then the i, and I know they use 2 sending units instead of one.
    Or you might just have a stuck/wore out sending unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by st.petebiodiesel View Post
      So before I decide to add more power to the car I need to swap in the stronger G260 transmission.
      Are you going to be doing anything for n/a power, or straight to turbo?
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
        Are you going to be doing anything for n/a power, or straight to turbo?

Originally I was thinking of doing a 272 or 282 cam, but I don’t really want to pull the head back off. As you know squeezing more power out of a N/A 2 valve motor is expensive and doesn’t yield that much power.
        This summer I’m just going to enjoy the car for what it is, get the A/C working really well, and slowly buying turbo parts.
        I did find Dan Miller’s e34 turbo thread on bimmeforums.
        Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

He made 400whp on the M106 turbo exhaust manifold. Kinda thinking of using my m106 turbo manifold and modifying it like he did.

Comment

I think you mentioned it a while back but remind me why you went with an m30+boost over an m60? I remember you said you had an m60 swapped car before. Was it the brake booster problem that most people face with v8 swaps?
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
            I think you mentioned it a while back but remind me why you went with an m30+boost over an m60? I remember you said you had an m60 swapped car before. Was it the brake booster problem that most people face with v8 swaps?

Don’t get me wrong, I love M60/62 swap e30s. It’s just that I’ve done 3 in the past 5 years. V8 swapped cars are super fun and really fast. My friends M62 pulled a 8.40 at the local 1/8 mile (equates to a 13.0 1/4 mile). However M60/62 have virtually no aftermarket aside from $6k superchargers or $3k cams. So you should make sure you are happy with just a 300hp e30.
            Truth is I really wanted to do something else, and M30s are cool engines.

To answer your other question.
            All the cars that I’ve V8 swapped I used my own booster delete using a VW master cylinder. (Which received much criticism on r3v) mostly because I made/engineered it myself and didn’t buy it from a vendor like Garagistic or WillWood. I didn’t have $700 to spend on a pedal box, pedals, and master cylinders. So I built my own setup that achieves exactly the same thing.

Say what you want, but I can flat-spot 205 front tires during heavy braking.(no abs)

I guess you could say I just want to do every e30 BMW engine swap.
            [x] M60/62
            [x] M30
            [ ] M70 V12
            [ ] S50/52
            [ ] M88/S38
            [ ] S54

Comment

Cool.
              I like your style very much. Seems like you know what you're doing. I've got a good friend who lives in st pete and if I ever get out there I'd love to come check this one out.
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Anymore info on that master cylinder? the e12/e24 booster needed to go away on my turbo m30 to flip the throttle body. I am using an e30 booster, but this would be even better! thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by JDUTHIE24 View Post
                  Anymore info on that master cylinder? the e12/e24 booster needed to go away on my turbo m30 to flip the throttle body. I am using an e30 booster, but this would be even better! thanks!

I would not recommend going boosterless unless you absolutely have to. Yes it is a very effective braking system, but only delete your booster if absolutely necessary. (Like a V8 swap.)
                  For stock brakes use a 17mm master cylinder from a 1975 VW Rabbit.
                  For larger brakes use a 19mm master cylinder from a 87 Porsche Carrera without ABS.
                  Here is my heavily criticized thread.

Take what you want from this thread, but my friend with a M62 e30 and same brake setup made a panic stop at over 80mph when someone pulled out in front of him and saved it. He did flat spot the tires (ABS delete) but he avoided a accident.

Comment

Not sure why you were heavily criticised there - you just pointed out that some of the delete kits are expensive for what they are?! Props to you for sorting out your own path (which is basically what hot rodders do traditionally!) Did your plate ever crack as some seemed to think it might?

I think if I ever go the V8 swap, I'd just run Ergen Motorsports' mini-booster setup under the dash - that one is far from cheap, but is a bolt in fit. I have been having evil thoughts about an M70 swap!

Looking forward to seeing a turbo strapped onto the side of your M30 sometime soon :D
                    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                      Not sure why you were heavily criticised there - you just pointed out that some of the delete kits are expensive for what they are?! Props to you for sorting out your own path (which is basically what hot rodders do traditionally!) Did your plate ever crack as some seemed to think it might?

Looking forward to seeing a turbo strapped onto the side of your M30 sometime soon :D

There is zero chance of that plate cracking, it’s through bolted to the steel pedal bracket behind the firewall. Only one of the bolts for the master cylinder is just through the aluminum plate but it has a huge washer on the nut side to distribute the load.

I bought a cheap T3 flange off eBay to try and figure out how to make a adapter for my M106 manifold.

Thinking this maybe?

Using one existing K27 flange hole and drilling and tapping 3 new holes for studs.
                      Obviously I would route out the manifolds circular outlet to better match the T3 flange.

Or maybe I’ll get a T4 flange and see if it fits better.

Comment

I bought some 3”x5” 3/8” steel plates to try to fabricate an adapter.

The X’s will be countersunk fasteners.

Trying to figure out what Turbo to run. Leaning towards a HX35 or a H1C.

I want something that is not internally gated, since I’ll be using the the M106 wastegate port for an external wastegate.
                        My goal is only 350 whp so a smaller Turbo without an intercooler.

Comment

Check out my M106 Turbo manifold adapter. It adapts the K27 flange to just a regular T3 flange.

I tapped the holes for the 3/8”-16 studs, next I’ll weld the studs permanently to the plate and grind both surface flat.
                          I also have to grind out the outlet to a smooth transition from the circle to the rectangle T3 flange.
                          I am really happy I made the M106 manifold work without having to find a K27 turbo.
                          The M106 manifold can be installed upside down in a top mount configuration. Which is what I would prefer, but space constraints might only allow for it to be mounted as a bottom mount.

Comment

Nice work. Good simple solution :)
                            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Not sure about reverse-mounting the m106 manifold to make it top-mount (have to consider the WG too), but bottom-mount definitely fits. Just need to fab a custom motor mount arm to clear the snail.

Comment

One of the 3 LKQs near Tampa, for some reason has been on a e28 buying spree. (Usually it's mostly e46s and a few e36s)
                                I couldn't help myself and I happily found another M30 G260/6 with a flywheel.

For those of you not counting I now have 2 g260 transmissions and flywheels, even though my G240 is still holding up great behind my M30 ( I think stock tires help with that). It is nice to have extra driveline components when embarking on forced induction in the near future.

A bit of a side tangent, I took my Father's euro M635csi to my first cars & coffee.

The car is a 1985 M6 in a special order paint to sample by BMW petrol blue ( a Porsche color) only one in the world.

This is the car that got me into cars when I was a kid. My Dad bought this car when I was 5. I learned to drive stick in this car. The chassis has over 400k on it, but miles don't really matter to us. We rebuilt the M88/3 when I was a senior in high school and has since accumulated 55k.
                                I'm really tempted to find a S38 or a M88 for my e30, they just sound so awesome.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X