A few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions

I cant seem to find a straight answer about these, so I'm just gonna ask.

- What do I use for wiring? I have a b35 out of a 92 e32 going into a 86 325e. I have heard that you can use the m20 harness, but do you use the m20 computer too? I have a lead on a good e34 535 5speed harness and computer, how hard would it be to use that? Also, the e32 I got the engine from was an auto, does that make anything harder?

-I have a tranny out of an e28 535, will this bolt up to the e32 engine? What clutch do I use if it does? e32/4 or e28. Also, what driveshaft will I need? I have the cross member out of the e28 too, this will just bolt right up to the e30, right?

-The shifter on the e28 tranny is in desperate need of a rebuild, what do I need to replace to make it feel new again? What short shifters work on this tranny, could I use a Z3/4 ssk like KO sells? Also, would the e30 shifter assembly fit onto this transmission?

Thanks for any help.
    Byron
    Leichtbau

Well for true plug and play ease, You'd want to find an 87 325i engine harness(you still have to lengthen a few wires). All you use is the engine harness and plug all the sensors, ecu etc... into it. Or you could use the e34 engine harness, you will just have to rewire the c101 plug at the fuse box so it will work with the e30 body.
    Yes you can use an e28 tranny on the e32 block. And any m30 clutch will work. I'd use what ever clutch for the flywheel your using. So if using the e32 flywheel use an e32 clutch.
    The e28 cross member won't bolt up to the e30 body, you need and e30 cross member.
    Your driveshaft will have to be shortened, or find an large guibo 325e driveshaft.
    You can use all the same short shifters as you do on the e30 with the e28 tranny. But remember your shifter console and arm will need to cut and shortened.
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3 View Post
      Well for true plug and play ease, You'd want to find an 87 325i engine harness(you still have to lengthen a few wires). All you use is the engine harness and plug all the sensors, ecu etc... into it. Or you could use the e34 engine harness, you will just have to rewire the c101 plug at the fuse box so it will work with the e30 body.
      Yes you can use an e28 tranny on the e32 block. And any m30 clutch will work. I'd use what ever clutch for the flywheel your using. So if using the e32 flywheel use an e32 clutch.
      The e28 cross member won't bolt up to the e30 body, you need and e30 cross member.
      Your driveshaft will have to be shortened, or find an large guibo 325e driveshaft.
      You can use all the same short shifters as you do on the e30 with the e28 tranny. But remember your shifter console and arm will need to cut and shortened.
      Too add what Ely said, figure out the build date of your car. If it's later than 6/86, then you should be golden with the driveshaft you have now, as long as the motor is mounted in position III.
      Originally posted by BillBrasky
      E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
      1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
      1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
      1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
      2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

Dammit, I'm pretty sure my car is 5/86. With the big guibo e driveshaft, do I use both halves from the e30 or mix and match it with the e28 driveshaft? I plan on using Joe's mounts if I can get them soon.
        How hard is rewiring the fuse box plug? I absolutely suck at anything electrical.
        Byron
        Leichtbau

Comment

If I've heard correctly, you use the whole large flex disc driveshaft. If you find one...I called it, seniority :up:
          www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

lol, I don't go to your junkyards, you don't come to mine, how's that sound? ;)

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
            How hard is rewiring the fuse box plug? I absolutely suck at anything electrical.
            Anyone?
            Byron
            Leichtbau

Comment

I believe if you know how to solder, you're not in for anything crazy. I have not personally done it however. From what I've heard and read the wiring harness from an m20 is much easier simply because you extend a handful of wires, rather than rewiring the whole c101 plug.

Either way it's going to require some wiring fun! Show so pics of what you end up going with...i say go to the yard and go with an m20 harness.
              www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

Would it have to be an 87' i harness, or could it be from any i? If I go with the e30 harness and e34 comp, will I run into any problems chipping it later?
                Byron
                Leichtbau

Comment

if you use an 88 or newer you'll have to do more wiring, as on those all the functions of the c104(small white 3-pin plug by the ecu) are run threw the c101 plug.
                  85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

So what exactly is involved with rewiring the fuse box plug to run the e34 harness? Anyone have specific details? I called all my local yards, and none had an 87 i.
                    Byron
                    Leichtbau

Comment

Bought an e34 harness and comp. Anyone know the question above?
                      Byron
                      Leichtbau

Comment

I used the e34 harness for my m30 and i only needed to rewire 2 wires in the c101 plug. I think that's just as easy and the plastic fuel injector covers look a little nicer too, in my opinion.

For my 1/86 325e to 3/88 735i I only needed to run the RPM (black) and Fuel Rate (white) wires from the glove box to the C101 plug and thats it. On later e30's (88+), no C101 modification is needed to run the M30 harness.
                        '86 E30
                        '05 E53 X5
                        '72 Firebird
                        '10 Prius
                        '03 Tundra

Comment

This may sound like a dumb question, but where in the glove box did you run the wires from? Computer? How do you know where to put them?
                          Byron
                          Leichtbau

Comment

In your glove box, there is a 3 pin connector (called C104 i think). You connect the wires i mentioned earlier from the C104 to the C101. You dont need to alter your new harness at all, only the existing car harness. I'll try and send a pic later if you'd like.
                            '86 E30
                            '05 E53 X5
                            '72 Firebird
                            '10 Prius
                            '03 Tundra

Comment

Oh, that makes sense. For some reason I thought the c104 would be right near the c101. A pic would be great if you could get one.
                              Byron
                              Leichtbau

Comment

Working...
                              X