A few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
    Sounds like I am getting a normal m30 clutch then. Would it just be best to use a 533i clutch and flywheel package?
    Thats what I ran for the last 20k... rode it hard too. You'll be fine
    Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
    That Guy.
    03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

Cool, any suggestions of where to buy it from?
      Byron
      Leichtbau

Comment

Also, anyone know the dates the 533i's came with the M5 flywheel?
        Byron
        Leichtbau

Comment

... 83 and 84
          That Guy.

Comment

New question: Real oem says that the month they changed to the big guibo driveshaft was 5/86-the month my car was born. How do I measure the guibo to see what size I have? And if I do have the large guibo, would that mean I have the 87e harness too?
            Byron
            Leichtbau

Comment

I bought a driveshaft from a 87 325e yesterday, and it was the same thing that I have now. The flex disk is larger on the e28 tranny, is that the size that the new driveshaft is supposed to be? The junkyard I bought it from was probably wrong on the year or model, but they insisted that it was correct. Does anyone know where to measure from on the guibo?

Are all of you guys running the stock fuel pump?
              Byron
              Leichtbau

Comment

Has anyone ever heard of the oil pump tensioner and chain going on m30's? Mine looks fine, but I'm wondering if it would be best to change it anyways while its apart.
                Byron
                Leichtbau

Comment

I bought a driveshaft from a 87 325e yesterday, and it was the same thing that I have now. The flex disk is larger on the e28 tranny, is that the size that the new driveshaft is supposed to be? The junkyard I bought it from was probably wrong on the year or model, but they insisted that it was correct. Does anyone know where to measure from on the guibo?

Are all of you guys running the stock fuel pump?
                  Im running a stock fuel pump.

the e cars came with both size of guibo. The 86 es that I am parting out now, has the smaller one.
                  That Guy.

Comment

Has anyone ever heard of the oil pump tensioner and chain going on m30's? Mine looks fine, but I'm wondering if it would be best to change it anyways while its apart.
                    I wouldnt worry about it, but, at the same time... if you're in there, you might as well do it, I don't think theyre expensve. What is the mileage on your motor? and how well does it seem to have been maintained?
                    That Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkmasta
                      Im running a stock fuel pump.

the e cars came with both size of guibo. The 86 es that I am parting out now, has the smaller one.
                      The 87 e's had the larger one though, right? It was the same thing as my 86.
                      Originally posted by Funkmasta View Post
                      I wouldnt worry about it, but, at the same time... if you're in there, you might as well do it, I don't think theyre expensve. What is the mileage on your motor? and how well does it seem to have been maintained?
                      The chain is like $30, but I couldn't find the tensioners fs anywhere. The chain was pretty tight and the tensioner didn't have much wear on it.

My engine has 230k, but it seems to be in great shape so far: Factory cross hatching on the cylinder walls, no ring groove, no crankshaft play and no sludge or spare parts in the oil pan. I was just wondering about it because my timing chain was really loose, but the oil pump wasn't.
                      Byron
                      Leichtbau

Comment

The 87 e's had the larger one though, right? It was the same thing as my 86.

The chain is like $30, but I couldn't find the tensioners fs anywhere. The chain was pretty tight and the tensioner didn't have much wear on it.

My engine has 230k, but it seems to be in great shape so far: Factory cross hatching on the cylinder walls, no ring groove, no crankshaft play and no sludge or spare parts in the oil pan. I was just wondering about it because my timing chain was really loose, but the oil pump wasn't.
                        according to RealOEM
                        15 CHAIN 1 11411707163 $26.51
                        16 CHAIN TENSIONER 1 11411705055 $16.07

I would say it was probably fairly well taken care of. The other consideration though, is that fitment is tight on an M30 in the E30, so anything that you can do before the install, you should do.

hmm
                        That Guy.

Comment

Yeah, I think I'll just change it for peace of mind.

Since I cant find an 87e driveshaft anywhere around here, would it be possible to put the front of the e28 driveshaft onto the back of mine, or would it be too long/short?
                          Byron
                          Leichtbau

Comment

... you can also change the flange, but it takes a specialty socket
                            That Guy.

Comment

Would the driveshaft combo work though?
                              Byron
                              Leichtbau

Comment

ya, if you use the E30 260 flange, you should get away with that DS...
                                That Guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X