Whining from the rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whining from the rear

Took my car out on a test drive after solving some irritating ticking noise and heard some whining noise from the rear of the vehicle. Almost sounds like one of those rubber toy chickens after they've been squeezed, but higher pitched. Most noticeable with the windows rolled down, and when the car is in motion at about 20-30 MPH without your foot on the gas.

What did you work on last in the rear? Start there, also check all rotating parts for noticeable play.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      What did you work on last in the rear? Start there, also check all rotating parts for noticeable play.
      Haven't worked on anything in the rear of the car lately. The ticking noise that I had fixed was from the timing chain tensioner. I wish I could record a video but the wind noise from driving with the windows down would mask the sound.

Comment

does it change in pitch ?
        first thing i'd check is the diff to make sure it has fluid and to rule it out. they are getting harder to find. after that i'd suspect a rear wheel bearing or maybe even a fuel pump. fuel pumps will whine when they start going bad.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
          does it change in pitch ?
          first thing i'd check is the diff to make sure it has fluid and to rule it out. they are getting harder to find. after that i'd suspect a rear wheel bearing or maybe even a fuel pump. fuel pumps will whine when they start going bad.
          The sound loops pretty consistently, with no changes in pitch.

Comment

Is your mother in law sitting in the back?

Comment

Originally posted by ube91 View Post

The sound loops pretty consistently, with no changes in pitch.
              suspect a rear wheel bearing.

edit : the "loop" should change a bit with the speed.
              Last edited by 82eye; 11-26-2021, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                Is your mother in law sitting in the back?
                lol

Comment

Just had my dvr side replaced. If the whining continues without the m-in-law in the back AND in neutral, idling in neutral, while coasting > 30 mph, I'd bet on the wheel bearing especially if there is a change in pitch affected due to speed. During a turn will tell you which turn.

Comment

Go around a few corners at speed in neutral
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                    X