Cheap/Basic M42 Mods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inspiration, yo!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by ThaiRacer View Post
      What do u guys think about spray maybe like a 75 shot?
      Don't do it.
      It's bad for piston rings and head gaskets, and it puts harmful sudden load changes on your drivetrain components.

If you're going to build a car for nitrous, to reliably handle a 200+ shot, props to you. But this requires a built motor, metal head gasket, special piston rings (there's a company called Hellfire that makes them), and strengthening/upgrading almost every piece of your drivetrain.
      Originally posted by accident
      I have achieved the title of Douche of the month.
      Discuss.
      Originally posted by kronus
      It was probably pissed off because it didn't want to pay taxes for poor people's healthcare.
      1990 300ZX TT 5spd ($6,000)
      1991 318i 4dr 5spd (DD)

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
        When I put in my medium case 4.10 with the turbo car I didn't even have to shorten the driveshaft, it just fit in.
        yeah, what's this talk of shortening the driveshaft? I'm positive the input flange is in the same place.

Comment

I wouldn't put nitrous on an m42 period. Get a real FI system.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post

Had those and are great for top end power. I dyno'd 136 to the wheels with those, delete parasitic fan (efan), 4 pintle injectors (mustang), ebay proformance chip, and cleaned up vacuum lines. Warning though, you do lose a good bit of low end torque. When I put my stockers back in for the turbo setup, gained ALOT more torque below 3000rpm.
            do you remember what regrind it was? 256? 270?
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

what about hi comp pistons?
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
              IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post
                yeah, what's this talk of shortening the driveshaft? I'm positive the input flange is in the same place.
                The driveshaft is telescopic. The flange on yours may have been loose and you without noticing adjusted the length of the tailshaft. It is a very minor change in length.

Plus shortening the driveshaft excessively and putting it out of the way makes it a bit easier to get the diff in position.
                - Chris
                Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

To the guys talking about regrinding the cams

What are a safe set of specs to go with an what can the factory valve train even handle? I know a little about cams, but never ordered a custom grind and about the only thing I know to do is to get in contact with Delta cams.

Comment

Originally posted by thedguy View Post
                    To the guys talking about regrinding the cams

What are a safe set of specs to go with an what can the factory valve train even handle? I know a little about cams, but never ordered a custom grind and about the only thing I know to do is to get in contact with Delta cams.
                    i don't have anything about specs for you, but a friend has an intake cam from these guys:

in his m42 and seems happy with it. you could check with both; even basic info on lift and duration would let you make something of a judgment call on which you want.

edit: also found these:

i would be very interested in the specs on the stock cams myself, if anyone has them.
                    Last edited by decay; 03-03-2010, 07:49 PM.
                    past:
                    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                    1985 323i baur
                    current:
                    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

dk, Metric Mechanic and VACMotorsports have M42 cams as well as Webb and possibly DBilas.
                      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

yeah, looking at the retail for my ITBs i don't think i'll be going with dbilas. not raking in the iraq money any more, which is why progress on my car has slowed so drastically. :)

i was asking about stock cam profiles because a trick i've seen used on VW and nissan twincams is buying a "sport" cam for the intake and then swap the stock intake cam over to the exhaust side. asked robert (peerless) about this and he thinks we could do the same on the M42.

anyway someone on m42club found the specs for me:

Application: O.E.M.
                        Duration [0.1mm+cl]: 255/255°
                        Duration [1.0mm+cl]: 207/207°
                        maximum lift [cl=0]: 9.70/9.70mm
                        Lift at TDC [cl=0]: 0.90/0.65mm
                        so everything is the same except the lift @ TDC. am i reading it right when i think that means they're basically the same except the intake cam has a more convex ramp? or is it just that TDC just falls on a different place in the "bump"?

looks like it might not be worth the trouble but i thought the idea was worth investigating.

i will probably just go with delta regrinds like 2002maniac did. i've done enough weight and parasitic-drive reduction (ps/ac/clutch fan all gone) that losing a bit of low-end would probably just make it feel like it used to before; and another ~100lbs is going to come out of the car before i get around to this anyhow.
                        past:
                        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                        1985 323i baur
                        current:
                        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

www.catcams.com has cams for the m42 as well but i have no idea about cost (check out the chart below). They sell more agressive cams but they require different springs/lifters to install.

O.E.M.
                          255 / 255°
                          207 / 207°
                          9.70 / 9.70mm
                          0.90 / 0.65mm
                          O.E.M.
                          HYDR: O.E.M.

257 / 257°
                          215 / 215°
                          9.90 / 9.90mm
                          1.30 / 0.95mm
                          O.E.M.
                          HYDR: sport

269 / 269°
                          225 / 225°
                          10.00 / 10.00mm
                          2.05 / 1.55mm
                          O.E.M.
                          HYDR: sport
                          Last edited by Voluted; 03-05-2010, 09:06 AM.

Comment

o0o0o sounds fun!
                            [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
                            Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

Even after the ltw flywheel I feel like I need some more oomph....
                              DK hows the PS loss? Im getting sick of it . but Im wondering about the safety (like hydroplaning, spinning out ETC.

I really wonder How much power we can get out of the m42 without doing internals.
                              [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
                              Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

Originally posted by Asbradley21 View Post
                                I wouldn't put nitrous on an m42 period. Get a real motor.
                                fixed. The m42 has its place, but overall, it's near the top of its game barring expensive mods and even afterwards is largely gutless. I'd much rather have a torquey motor than a high revving one. In race applications, I can see a built M42 being nice. For the street... I'll take an I6.

Oh, and I own an M44 powered e36. It sounds like a lawn mower and just never idles as well as the I6s. I *much* prefer the M20 or M5x, neither of which are all that expensive to swap in and yield much more usable power.
                                1997 540i/6 - stock
                                1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
                                1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

Working...
                                X