Best way to access block coolant drain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to access block coolant drain?

Hi all. I am trying to flush the nasty brown coolant out of my m42 but i cant seem to get the block coolant drain plug out. I have tried going at it with a crescent wrench and a 19mm ratchet with extension but it is on their pretty good and i cant get in a comfortable position to really leverage it. How the hell do i get that plug out?!?

19mm socket and the right extension on a ratchet. Can you get a better angle on it from under the car? Yeah it is a shitty location. Soak it with PB blaster and let it sit for an evening.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

This is one of those 'just the right length' extension things- when you have the
      right length one on the right socket- or breaker bar- it comes right out.

Otherwise it's a total bitch.

I've pulled more than one to find it's so silted up that water won't come out...

And they can get really really stuck, too, sometimes.

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

I've pulled more than one to find it's so silted up that water won't come out...

t
        The same thing happened to me. Nothing came out, and after i looked closely there was no hole behind the bolt thread

Comment

Originally posted by hachirokuae View Post
          The same thing happened to me. Nothing came out, and after i looked closely there was no hole behind the bolt thread
          If that happens, just take a screwdriver and jab at the blockage until it clears. A hammer may, but out not be required.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
            If that happens, just take a screwdriver and jab at the blockage until it clears. A hammer may, but out not be required.
            From which side of the hole does it pour out, because I cant see the passage.

Comment

Originally posted by hachirokuae View Post
              From which side of the hole does it pour out, because I cant see the passage.
              It simply pours out of the hole on the block, don't believe it's more top/bottom/left/right. Be sure you have the right bolt removed (it will be very short, ~20mm total), then insert screwdriver and jab away. At most you will impact the back side of the coolant passage and you are unlikely to hurt anything.

Comment

Im gonna revive my own thread here because i still have not been able to remove the drain plug. Is it olay if i just flush with a hose and drain from the radiator before adding coolant?

Comment

Originally posted by firstE30 View Post
                  Im gonna revive my own thread here because i still have not been able to remove the drain plug. Is it olay if i just flush with a hose and drain from the radiator before adding coolant?
                  yea its a good idea to crack the block drain open. A lot of deposits and what not can only escape from the block drain.

Another trick is to add a little heat. Take a propane torch and heat the engine block around the drain plug. The cast will expand a bit and help you break it free.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                  Ig:ryno_pzk
                  I like the tuna here.
                  Originally posted by lambo
                  Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

would a grill lighter type torch be sufficient?

Comment

Assuming you mean a glorified cigarette lighter, then no. If you don't want to get a proper propane torch you might try one of those Harbor Freight heat guns or even a mini torch that can be used for cooking applications.

Comment

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                        Ig:ryno_pzk
                        I like the tuna here.
                        Originally posted by lambo
                        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Better yet:

Comment

Working...
                          X