M42 Valve cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Valve cover?

This part's gasket is decaying into my motor. The part# doesnt exist in bmw archives. Im not buying a new valve cover. PART#11121721873
    Anyone ever deal with this?

NOT MY PHOTOS.

Yes, it's the oil separator. Since new gaskets are not available or listed you just have to make a new one yourself. This can be done with most any oil resistant gasket material available online.

Once you install a new gasket you'll probably find that you have less oil in the hose to the TB/on the throttle plates.

Comment

Gasket maker??
      -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
      Originally posted by roguetoaster
      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Thanks guys, glad im not the only one. My main concern was the oil making its way back into the intake.

This part should be available!!

Comment

Originally posted by E30Brad View Post
          Thanks guys, glad im not the only one. My main concern was the oil making its way back into the intake.

This part should be available!!
          If you dig up a part number do post it!

Comment

I changed mine about a month ago maybe less I just called Bennett Auto Supply told them the make, year and model and they had it in stock. Call your local autozones,advanced auto parts to see. When you get the kit it should have the rubber gasket for the valve cover itself, about 12 rubber grommets (one for each bolt, you may have to take some wire cutters and cut the old ones off) and the gaskets for the spark plug wells

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

uhhh, not for the separator plate, they don't...

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I had the same issue with the seperator plate when I swapped engines a couple weeks ago. I didn't like the looks of the rubber peeling off the edges.

I took it out and scrubbed, with a stiff brush, all the loose deteriorating rubber off and scraped the edges off, looked fresh when I was done.

When I first took it out it looked like what you see on a tire that hasn't been cleaned (ever) but it scrubbed off.

I dont think it will be an issue, if you clean it up real well.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmann View Post
                  I had the same issue with the seperator plate when I swapped engines a couple weeks ago. I didn't like the looks of the rubber peeling off the edges.

I took it out and scrubbed, with a stiff brush, all the loose deteriorating rubber off and scraped the edges off, looked fresh when I was done.

When I first took it out it looked like what you see on a tire that hasn't been cleaned (ever) but it scrubbed off.

I dont think it will be an issue, if you clean it up real well.
                  Agreed.

Comment

What exactly does this separator do?

Comment

Originally posted by thenewguy View Post
                      What exactly does this separator do?
                      It keeps oil from splashing up off the cams and getting into the intake.

Can the engine run without the plate?

Yes

Does it is suck without it?

No, Not really.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                      Ig:ryno_pzk
                      I like the tuna here.
                      Originally posted by lambo
                      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Working...
                      X