M42 Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Tuning

I have an E30 318iS Euro Spec I am bringing back from Germany. Does anyone have any suggestions on tuning the M42 for more performance?

(moved you to the m42 subforum)
    cars beep boop

Comment

Chip and single mass flywheel are the only reasonable upgrades in my book. Other bolt on upgrades include intake, exhaust and cams but they are all quite pricey for very little gains.

Turbo is going to be the most efficient in terms of money spent to HP gained. You could also stroke it to 2.1 NA for about 180 at the crank but its going to be more $$$ than a turbo for half the HP gain.
      -Alex

Comment

^ 100% accurate.

I feel that the point many new M42 owners forget is that the M42 is what is, a small displacement four cylinder with no exotic features. Without substantial investment the power will always be about on par with any run of the mill car from the 2000s and up.

If you can live with that the M42 will be a fun, economical, often reliable performer that won't get you arrested or in over your head if you are new to RWD while still allowing you to wind it out it most of the gears.

Do remember this, if you want a car with substantial power an M42 is probably not for you, if you like the principle of driving a slow car fast then the M42 will have a home in your garage for years to come.

Comment

M47 crank. Milled s52 pistons, vw lifters, reground cams, itb's done.
          = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Originally posted by totheredline View Post
            M47 crank. Milled s52 pistons, vw lifters, reground cams, itb's done.
            And the more economical (and less powerful) way is M44 crank, rods, milled S50 pistons, and the latter goodies as well. Don't expect to hit 200hp easily if at all.
            You say "Where are your other two cylinders?"
            I say "Where's your other camshaft?"
            Frankenmotor: if an M42, M44, M20, S50, and S52 were to have a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
              ^ 100% accurate.

I feel that the point many new M42 owners forget is that the M42 is what is, a small displacement four cylinder with no exotic features. Without substantial investment the power will always be about on par with any run of the mill car from the 2000s and up.

On tuesday I was in bumper to bumper traffic, when it opened up I dropped to 3rd and pinned it. Whilst making neat noises and enjoying myself during said 30-60 pull, a flipping camry was matching my acceleration

If you can live with that the M42 will be a fun, economical, often reliable performer that won't get you arrested or in over your head if you are new to RWD while still allowing you to wind it out it most of the gears.

Do remember this, if you want a car with substantial power an M42 is probably not for you, if you like the principle of driving a slow car fast then the M42 will have a home in your garage for years to come.

Truth, the m42 is fun, I love the little motor, but it isn't the fastest thing out there by any stretch of the imagination. Its still fast enough to get you in trouble if you try!
              -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
              08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
              318iS, slow build/garage queen...
              '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
              Originally posted by roguetoaster
              Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

If you don't have an ECU chip, get one ASAP. Then just enjoy it. I find it has plenty for just fun driving.
                But my estimated 300hp turbo build should be pretty good :)
                sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Thanks for all the info, when I pick it up in the US I'll look into getting a chip. Does anyone know where to start looking for a decent quality chip? All I have ever really felt with is A
                  Basic mechanics but since I found this E30 318is I want to make my little German souvenir a little more fun to drive. Also, anyone know where to find any Z1 parts. I'm told the steering gear will mount right up with just a few mods.

Comment

Mark D chips have worked quite well for me, As
                    have Jim C.

You want a Z3 rack, this was covered a few threads down.

You can also get a 4.45 diff from an automatic 318ti.

Comment

Midnight is pretty solid too:
                      -Alex

Comment

a small displacement four cylinder with no exotic features.
                        except 4 valves per cylinder, coil- per plug, and a tube header, stock.

Well, exotic for 1990, I guess...

But it's small, and you have to wind it to make it do much, I agree.

DASC! If you can find one...

t
                        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                          except 4 valves per cylinder, coil- per plug, and a tube header, stock.

Well, exotic for 1990, I guess...

t
                          Don't forget adjustable cams and forged internals ;)
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vanilla Gorilla View Post
                            Don't forget adjustable cams and forged internals ;)
                            One day, mine will sprout ITBs or a blower:)
                            -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                            08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                            318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                            '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                            Originally posted by roguetoaster
                            Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Working...
                            X