m50 flywheel on m42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m50 flywheel on m42

I have a JBR m50 228mm flywheel, designed to be direct fit with the factory clutch. Ive searched didnt find much as far as m50 flywheels.

Anybody have first hand experience using one? My understanding is that the standard e36 325i clutch kit and my flywheel will work fine and I keep the car's current pilot bearing. no need to change starter either.

TIA, yes I searched... not much for m50 LTW flywheel setups...
    Last edited by 5Toes; 10-02-2015, 02:27 PM.

bump, anybody ever done this?

Comment

I have not heard of anyone doing the swap. That is not to say that it has not been done, but I think that most people go for the M20 conversion since it is well documented and known to work. You should give it a try and be our guinea pig!

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

okay sounds good to me! I will use a e36 m50 clutch and let y'all how it works out!

Comment

Yeah, I haven't heard about it either, but in theory it's all the same stuff. In theory.
          The M50 was just an M42 with 2 more pots... (yeah, I know, but in THEORY)

Measure 3 times, install once?

I'm curious, too.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

as long as the stack height is the same between the two different setups it should work, based on my research...

It will be a few months but I certainly will be taking pics for this one.

Comment

I have an M50 LTW flywheel and clutch setup in my car. I used the M50 throw out bearing.

The catch is it does not fit in a G240 bellhousing like the M20 setup. You need to use a G250 or ZF trans from an E36.

I had the M20 flywheel/clutch on my car, then went to M50 flywheel/clutch/trans with custom driveshaft. FWIW I wish I stayed with the M20 setup and G240, much cheaper and easier!!! I went to the setup I did to prepare for turbo.
              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

was the m50 flywheel physically too big or was it the clutch kit that caused interference?

Comment

I believe it was the flywheel, but maybe it was just the pressure plate.

It was too long ago to remember! Sorry.
                  -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

correct. g240 will not fit over an m50 fly. you have to run a g250 e36 trans.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                    Ig:ryno_pzk
                    I like the tuna here.
                    Originally posted by lambo
                    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Damn :( guess the flywheel will find its way onto another one of my projects.

Comment

In case someone sees this in future, will a G250 fit in an M42 powered E30 with only bolt on modifications?

As far as I understand you can use the stock drive shaft but must shorten the selector rod. If this is true then perhaps someone knows of a stock rod that will work?

Comment

Working...
                        X