No announcement yet.

Need advice from experience for an M42 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bmwman91 i will try to improvise. i tried using painters tape to wrap the tip end of the alignment tool, but i guess it wasnt centered or something because the transmission still wasn't going in. it's trial and error then i guess.

Comment

Today I just had no luck. Now that the dust has settled after all the family holiday festivities, I took another shot at mating the transmission. I ordered another clutch alignment tool for a 318 and when it arrived it looked exactly like the one I had. Go figure. On top of that I stripped out a pressure plate bolt. I’’ve been reading how finicky this clutch disc alignment is for BMW’s. I’ve read somewhere or maybe in the replies here l but not sure how I would do this. A thread I read said to line up everything and finger tighten the bellhousing bolts. Drop engine and trans back into car and hook up pedal assembly and have a friend press in the clutch will I’m wiggling the transmission and it will slide the disc into alignment and push the shaft all the way into the pilot bearing What do ya’ll think? It sounds sketchy but I’m losing hope for something that should be so simple.

Comment

Originally posted by JonsE30 View Post
        A thread I read said to line up everything and finger tighten the bellhousing bolts. Drop engine and trans back into car and hook up pedal assembly and have a friend press in the clutch will I’m wiggling the transmission and it will slide the disc into alignment and push the shaft all the way into the pilot bearing What do ya’ll think? It sounds sketchy
        That's what it is....Sketchy.

If the engine and transmission is already out the car, it should be a piece of cake to mate them up.

Comment

mini update. i know it's been a while cuz life happens. i was able to mate the transmission up. hopefully i didn't break anything. i got the engine and trans in the bay after wrestling with it but it finally got in on on the motor mounts. i bolted up the driveshaft and exhaust under the car, which reminds me i gotta hook up the clutch slave cylinder.

but now i am working up top and trying to address the mess under the intake. i've removed many hoses thus far, but i was wondering if any of these hose can be reused for other areas. for example the nipple at the top of the water pipe to the nipple in the bottom middle of the cylinder head? some of the hoses have some gunk in it that can be washed out but overall look and feel like they are still in good condition.

Comment

Every time I see that diagram I wish I had used different colors when I made it about ten years ago...

As to the lines, replace them now, and as tempting as it may be to reuse a coolant hose with a slight twist to adapt the dissimilar sized nipples just don't. Also, replace the water pipe/gasket with a new one while you are there as it will just crack up in the near future.

Comment

Working...
            X