• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by digger View Post
    crank sensor maybe

This.

It's Motronic and they are finicky about the CPS and can act as a premature rev limiter (sounds like making popcorn?). Digital Multi Meter and ohm the pins. Two should be open, two should be 540ohm +/- 40ohm, sensor side of the wiring.

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    replied
    Originally posted by Nairb View Post
    majmodo I agree 100% on that.. I also got the Bosch part first and my car was no-start whatsoever after that. Once I got the OEM it was 100% back to normal. Unfortunately it has jumped in price, but if you want good reliable performance from your car it's necessary. Worth it for these great old cars.

CPS on ecs 19Mar2019: $232
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/12141721504/

Right on - wish I’d done this repair myself, but ended up paying the mechanic to hunt down the problem. Almost paid him to replace a perfectly functioning cat, thought it was a blockage in the exhaust.

Ezekiel 25:17

Leave a comment:

• Nairb
    replied
    majmodo I agree 100% on that.. I also got the Bosch part first and my car was no-start whatsoever after that. Once I got the OEM it was 100% back to normal. Unfortunately it has jumped in price, but if you want good reliable performance from your car it's necessary. Worth it for these great old cars.

CPS on ecs 19Mar2019: $232
    Last edited by Nairb; 03-19-2019, 08:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• majdomo
    replied
    Revving the M42 to it's redline, then boom stuttering/sputtering

CPS most likely. Had to replace mine 2x, once with aftermarket and finally with OEM. Hasn’t done it since. Exact same symptoms as the video. OEM was fuck-all expensive iirc.

Ezekiel 25:17

Leave a comment:

• bmwman91
    replied
    Originally posted by Victell View Post
    Is the AFM referenced during WOT?

Yes, it is still used as the primary input for calculating a base load value. The O2 sensor is ignored.

Leave a comment:

• Victell
    replied
    Originally posted by TobyB View Post
    make sure the AFM tests OK.
    Is the AFM referenced during WOT?

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by TobyB View Post
    Check fuel pressure first.

Then, in addition to what everyone else said, make sure the AFM tests OK.

t
    You mean to tell me that this OP shouldn't convert to dual side drafts?

Leave a comment:

• TobyB
    replied
    Check fuel pressure first.

Then, in addition to what everyone else said, make sure the AFM tests OK.

t

Leave a comment:

• bmwman91
    replied
    Yeah, crank sensor, or maybe an ignition coil on its way out. Also if the fuel filter is plugged up you might be dealing with intermittent fuel starvation at higher flows.

Pull the spark plugs and check to see if any of them look odd, either sooted/rich or white/lean.

Leave a comment:

• fastestbox
    replied
    Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
    What RPM exactly, and is it very consistent or intermittent?
    It happens right before redline, although sometimes it will let me hit redline and it won't bounce, instead it'll just retard the revving and start stuttering/sputtering. So probably around 6500-7000 every single time.

Originally posted by digger View Post
    crank sensor maybe
    That's highly possible as I had a problem with it before...

Leave a comment:

• Nairb
    replied
    Check this vid, are these symptoms similar to yours? If so, it's crankshaft position sensor.

Been having this problem on and off, but now it seems like it is occurring all the time. Car will not rev past 5,000 RPM.. hesitates and stutters like it is ...

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    crank sensor maybe

Leave a comment:

• bmwman91
    replied
    What RPM exactly, and is it very consistent or intermittent?

Leave a comment:

• fastestbox
    replied
    Originally posted by e30davie View Post
    Could be anything, but i would start by inspecting the spark plugs and the fuel filter (replace both if you dont know the history)
    I suppose I should have put this in the original post, but spark plugs have been changed recently, along with coils and wires. Fuel filter has been changed as well.

Could it be something to do with the engine ground or a camshaft sensor?

Leave a comment:

• e30davie
    replied
    Could be anything, but i would start by inspecting the spark plugs and the fuel filter (replace both if you dont know the history)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X