Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone familiar with this "Racingdiffs" LSD conversion kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone familiar with this "Racingdiffs" LSD conversion kit?

Came across this LSD conversion kit for open diffs.

https://racingdiffs.com/collections/...conversion-set

For all BMW Diffs, it probably is not effective long term. I have seen comments and a few reviews on youtube of some guys beating on it and blowing it up after a few thousand miles.
    Although with astronomical e30 LSD prices (2k+ AUD) it does seem enticing just for shits. Wondering what everyone's opinion is on this, I may try it out.
    -E30 323i 1983
    -Honda CB250n 1980

sigpic

50,000-mile Z3 Torsen differentials are sold in the USA for $300-500 if you like the ratio.
    Last edited by Vincenze; 09-29-2021, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Those things are total garbage, don't waste your money. Even it were free I wouldn't bother. At that point I would say just weld the diff, which opens up a whole other can of worms and is NOT street friendly or even track friendly unless you are drifting.

I agree with Vincenze , the most economical LSD is out of a I6 engined Z3, I picked a a 3.64 torsen out of Z3 somebody was parting out for $200 less than a year back, works great, and no clutches to wear out. You can decode the VIN# to determine the diff/gear ratio combo, there are a few free online resources to help with that. You just needs to swap out the axle stubs from your current diff which takes a few minutes.

In a full racing situation a clutch type LSD is arguable better, but unless you are at that level of need I recommend the torsen more for anything primarily street driven.

Comment

Originally posted by 84svoracer View Post
        the most economical LSD is out of a I6 engined Z3
        What kind of diff ratios do they come in?
        -E30 323i 1983
        -Honda CB250n 1980

sigpic

Comment

There may certainly be more, but the medium case (assuming you are looking for this) with torsen comes in 3.46 (stick) and 3.64 (auto) for sure in the US. There may definitely be others and I don't know how this may be changed in other markets throughout the world so just do some research on it or just scan VINs of potential Z3 donors to see.

That being said you can always swap differentials onto your exiting gearset/case. I think both diffs need to above 3.15 or below for the differential itself to swap (supposedly there is a compatibility issue, so a 2.93 diff won't go onto 4.10 gears, but 3.46 diff will work with 4.10 gears, etc.), but I would do a search on this to confirm as this is only going off of what I recall reading in other threads. I have never done this swap on a BMW rear, but have on several Fords, just check your backlash afterwards and add space accordingly with shims if needed, its certainly more involved but much easier than setting up an entire gearset from the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by skitzy777 View Post

What kind of diff ratios do they come in?
            https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=33_0385
            Manual 3,07
            Automatic 3,46

Manual 3,15
            Automatic 4,10

Manual 3,46
            Automatic 3,64

---
            It's difficult to ship. It weighs about 50 kg.

BMW actually sells some of them for $2,100. It's probably better than paying $2,000 for an E30 differential with 150,000 miles.
            Last edited by Vincenze; 09-30-2021, 10:29 AM.

Comment

European cars can be slightly different.

Here are Australian models:

Comment

These things have been around for ages. They are more of a last resort - like, there's nothing on the market to make an LSD for some cars, and none of them came with a factory option either.

If they were any good, I'm sure they would be far more popular otherwise. And if you're going to do all the work to pull the diff, take it apart, and put it back together properly - why would you waste your effort when E30s already came with LSD stock?
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Cheers for the info everyone. Seems it would be smart to get the z3 diff. Factory e30 sport LSD's here are tough to come by and very expensive.
                  -E30 323i 1983
                  -Honda CB250n 1980

sigpic

Comment

even track friendly unless you are drifting.
                    Lincoln- locker works just fine on the 2002.

I keep meaning to try one in the PRO3 car. But COVID.

Totally agree that they're absurd on the street, though.

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Pazi88 on made a youtube video about installing one of these in his e39.

Long story short, it does sort of work for about a month before the miniature clutch disc wears out completely, and it needs machining of the bevel gears in the differential to fit.
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
                      X