Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 325i manual swap via flywheel kit, good/bad idea

Howdy,

I have been gather parts to do a manual swap on my 1990 325i and I came across this kit for replacing the the flywheel on an eta.

BMW Flywheel Conversion Kit - Valeo 52281208

Is there any downside to this? It looks like a good way to save a buck on the individual parts but I wonder if there is any gotchas that would prevent that from working for a swap. I do think I would need to grab the normal throw out bearing. But aside from that?

High Quality Genuine & OEM BMW parts. Free Shipping and available now! See OE cross references for VAL-52281208. Includes FCP's Lifetime Warranty & Unlimited 365 Day Returns.

Why would you need a conversion for an ETA when you have an "i"?

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

Or are just wondering if you can use this kit in general?

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

Comment

One way to find out is to use https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select and reference the part numbers with what is on there. Meaning for your car use your vin in realoem and for trans option just pick manual. Then under the parts for the transmission use those part numbers and match them to the ones on the FCP Euro site. If they match then there is a good chance it will work.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

Comment

Originally posted by It's Soda Not Pop View Post
          Why would you need a conversion for an ETA when you have an "i"?
          If I am reading this correctly this kit is to allow you to run what looks like a single mass "i" clutch and flywheel on an ETA.

Or are just wondering if you can use this kit in general?
          It looks like the "i" flywheel (11221706575) is selling for about $425 this kit on Rock Auto is $430, I am just trying to keep costs down.

One way to find out is to use https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select and reference the part numbers with what is on there. Meaning for your car use your vin in realoem and for trans option just pick manual. Then under the parts for the transmission use those part numbers and match them to the ones on the FCP Euro site. If they match then there is a good chance it will work.
          The numbers on the FCP Euro site are not super helpful. Looking at the fitment tab is also confusing it is a bit all over the place, like could the same flywheel really fit e30, e28, e34, and e36? It also looks like it only really fits the 87 Eta engine because it does not have support for the Eta sensors.

It looks like Valeo have a whole series of these kits for replacing dual mass flywheels for various cars, it is just odd that they are targeting this segment. With so much stuff going NLA it could also be that the 325i kits have just been sold out for years and this is what is left.

Comment

Funny thing is if you take that part number for whole kit and plug into Pelicanparts.com it comes up for a Mini

*Update: I was incorrect I was off by one number.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

Comment

Yeah man I'm not sure. I understand trying to save money. But if it were me I would just spend money on known parts that fit. I'm all for saving money, but for something as important as a clutch I wouldn't cut corners. Maybe someone else has more input on the matter. My E30 was a Auto SETA originally. I got lucky the previous owner did the swap before I bought it 8 years ago.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

Comment

If I understand correctly, BMW completely moved to dual-mass flywheels in the 90s.

Valeo created this product for those owners "who need performance instead of non-vibration".

Comment

It is likely the case that the above kit is for G260 transmissions that had 6 7/8" bellhousing depth from inner slave cyl mounting face to edge of bellhousing. If you have one of these transmissions and use a regular "i" flywheel and clutch, a euro 323i TOB is required.

From what I can tell, the above kit is set up to accommodate the deeper bellhousing g260, but I could be wrong. Otherwise, I see no point in them making the specification.

OP, you need to figure out which trans you have for your swap, and go from there. I would recommend just getting an E30 single mass flywheel and sachs clutch kit, and then just purchase the TOB you need based on which transmission you have. Several folks have had issues with the Valeo single mass kits IIRC.

See info about the different bellhousings below:

Originally posted by jw 325ic View Post
                  * MODS Can we make this a sticky in this subforum?*

I've noticed through my adventure of replacing my transmission on my 88 325ic that the g260 interchange thread had some pretty incorrect information in it. So I figured I would go ahead and make my own to clear these things up. I will be using the basic layout from that thread but with corrections. I updated that thread but doesn't seem anyone paid attention.

Identify which trans you have early 'eta', late 'eta', or 'i':

1. early 'eta' trans (9/83-4/86)
                  1. 260.0.1270.90 is on the side of the 'eta' trans
                  2. shifter mounting about the output flange is only 2xM10 holes for the 84,85,86 style plate mount shifter
                  3. shallow bellhousing: Slave cylinder mounting flange = 6 1/2
                  4. 2 drilled holes for crank position sensors
                  5. smaller output flange
                  6. you can use part #25112225369 with M8X140 bolts to use the later style shift arms on the early transmissions.

b) late 'eta' trans (5/86-6/88 )
                  1. 260.0.1270.90 is on the side of the 'eta' trans
                  2. shifter mounting about the output flange has 2xM10 holes for the late style shifter and the top ears for the later shift arm.
                  3. deep bellhousing: Slave cylinder mounting flange = 6 7/8
                  4. cast boss for 2 drilled holes for crank position sensors, may or may not be drilled
                  5. larger output flange- can be swapped out with the smaller one with an impact wrench, a deep thin walled 30mm socket. you will need a gear puller to remove it. use red loctite when reinstalling the nut.
                  6. if you get this one for a 325i, you need part number 21511204525, it is the euro 323i throw out bearing and will make up the difference in the flywheel gap. pelicanparts.com has it for $75

c) 'i' trans
                  1. 260.0.1346.90 is on the side of the 'i' trans
                  2. top boss for the aluminum bracket of the 87-91 style shifting mechanism.
                  3. shallow bellhousing: Slave cylinder mounting flange = 6 1/2
                  4. no cast boss in bellhousing for reference sensors
                  5. smaller output flange

If you find your 'eta' 260 trans has the deeper bellhousing, you can correct for it by using a thicker throw-out bearing. Sachs P/N 21511204525 is a 30mm bearing and will make up the difference.

If you use the driveshaft/guibo that came with the transmission you'll be fine, the differential end of the driveshaft is the same on all the 6cyl E30s. Or, as stated above, swap out the output flanges on the transmission.

A note on the flywheels:

9/83-4/86 etas: SINGLE MASS Bellhousing depth- 6 1/2
                  5/86-6/88 etas: DUAL/TWIN MASS Bellhousing depth- 6 7/8
                  325i: SINGLE MASS Bellhousing depth- 6 1/2
                  318is m42: dual
                  And i believe the m10 318's have single.

If you have a transmission from a twin mass flywheel car going on a single mass flywheel car (ie a 5/86+ g260 or a g240 going on a early eta or a 325i) use the 323i throw out bearing.

Also, the 325i bent style shift arm will work fine with the later eta transmission. The eta straight arm will be too long.
                  If you're thinking about putting a g240 on an m20, it will sit at an angle and be too short to use your 325i parts. You will need a custom driveshift and some sort of shift kit to set off the angle. It will mate up to the engine but be sure to use a dual mass flywheel or the euro throw out bearing.
                  1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                  1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Thanks everyone, I think that the answer is clear, don't try to cheap out on this and do it right.

Comment

Working...
                    X