sachs clutch kit TO bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sachs clutch kit TO bearing

i picked up a sachs replacement clutch kit. the throw out bearing that came with it has a housing made of composite plastic, as opposed to the much chunkier original aluminum TO bearing.

has anyone got any experience with this new TO ? i'm skeptical of the construction and wondering if they've all gone this way. the old one is in good shape but has 100k on it, so i can re-use but would prefer a new one of the same construction. trolling through the usual suspects parts catalogs show nothing but a composite TO, even oem mfgrs.

They seem fine for OE applications.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
      They seem fine for OE applications.
      i'm gonna run the rhd lightweight flywheel. not sure if that'll be harder on it or not. there are wear marks fairly evident on the old one. they are deep enough that a composite one would be at fail or close to, unless the material wears different.

Comment

its only the sliding guide part that is plastic right? all the main "structural bits" are metallic. Its the same as what's used on E28 M5 clutches, M62 engines etc IIRC. Youll be fine

the flywheel probably has little influence its how much load it takes to disengage which is the clutch assembly itself.

Sachs do sell an uprated one but its still go plastic bits not sure what's modified perhaps the bearing which is normally what eats itself with all the grit floating around

i would not reuse a release bearing unless its ultra low miles
        Last edited by digger; 08-17-2022, 11:25 PM.
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
          its only the sliding guide part that is plastic right? all the main "structural bits" are metallic. Its the same as what's used on E28 M5 clutches, M62 engines etc IIRC. Youll be fine

the flywheel probably has little influence its how much load it takes to disengage which is the clutch assembly itself.

Sachs do sell an uprated one but its still go plastic bits not sure what's modified perhaps the bearing which is normally what eats itself with all the grit floating around

i would not reuse a release bearing unless its ultra low miles

yeah i'm gonna run the new one. stupid not to. duh. wth was i thinking lol ?

i'm just not impressed with the side tabs that engage the TO. the old aluminum one has visible wear on the tabs, almost as deep as the new one is thick. it's got a 100kmi on it though. the whole clutch assy was in amazing condition for a car with that mileage when i cracked it.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post

yeah i'm gonna run the new one. stupid not to. duh. wth was i thinking lol ?

i'm just not impressed with the side tabs that engage the TO. the old aluminum one has visible wear on the tabs, almost as deep as the new one is thick. it's got a 100kmi on it though. the whole clutch assy was in amazing condition for a car with that mileage when i cracked it.
            i got 100k out the last plastic housing metal tabbed one with an m5 clutch and the wear issue was the actual bearing and a bit on the metal tab, the plastic bits were fine.
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

i got 100k out the last plastic housing metal tabbed one with an m5 clutch and the wear issue was the actual bearing and a bit on the metal tab, the plastic bits were fine.
              the tabs are plastic now. and thin. i'l roll a couple pics to compare. the new one looks like sushi vs steak on the old.

Comment

id be interetsed to see. when i search 21517521471 they all still show as steel pressed tab just like the one i bought a couple months ago and the one i pulled out that was installed in 2006

Comment

id be interetsed to see. when i search 21517521471 they all still show as steel pressed tab just like the one i bought a couple months ago and the one i pulled out that was installed in 2006

i'll get pics today. the car's at my folks place where i work on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X