Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325e auto to manual swap question

Hello everyone.

I am looking to manual swap my 1986 325e and located a 1984 e28 528e manual transmission parts car.

My question is whether everything is interchangeable with my E30?

I know the ETA Manual transmission/flywheel/Clutch will work but my concern is with the below items:
    • Driveshaft
    • Shifter assembly
    • Clutch pedal box
    Any and all advice is always appreciated.

Thanks!

Freddy
    sigpic
    1988 E30 M3
    Diamantschwarz/Black

• Driveshaft - no
    • Shifter assembly - maybe? but it's most likely longer
    • Clutch pedal box - no
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
      • Driveshaft - no
      • Shifter assembly - maybe? but it's most likely longer
      • Clutch pedal box - no
      Thank you for that!
      sigpic
      1988 E30 M3
      Diamantschwarz/Black

Comment

Can anyone confirm the rumors that a later model e30 shifter and carrier, as opposed to the early sheetmetal carrier, be used on an ETA transmission by using the E30 m3 adapter?
        sigpic
        1988 E30 M3
        Diamantschwarz/Black

Comment

I haven't done it personally but this is supposedly the case. I believe I have one in the garage. It's like a U bracket.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by Shadye30 View Post
            Hello everyone.

I am looking to manual swap my 1986 325e and located a 1984 e28 528e manual transmission parts car.

Clutch pedal box

Thanks!

Freddy
            We bought (not knowing at the time) a 528e pedal box. It's essentially the same part with an extra couple of steel flaps welded on. We cut those and smoothed it and it fit fine.

Comment

Could have just swapped the auto brake pedal for the two pedals, the pedal boxes are the same on auto/manual. The long bolt that goes through the clutch/brake pedal gets changed in place of the short auto brake pedal.

Some early gearboxes have the two tabs to use the late shifter, just keep in mind the two socket cap screws that hold the plate style shifter need to be blocked, or gerabox fluid will come out when you accelerate. Yours came out of 1984, believe 1985 that was a dividing year, my 9/85 e30 had both provisions.

The m3 bracket doesn't work all the great (the g265 is different), but if you poke around, there's pics of how to use the old gall plate from the flex plate to make an adapter (the round plate with holes for the FW bolts).

john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Ok so I found a potential 5 speed swap package and just wanted to as a few questions:

My car is a December 1985 Build car and the swap allegedly came out of a 1986 325e as well.

I would like to replace the clutch and pressure plate assembly with a new unit while everything is out and potentially upgrade (?) to a single mass flywheel but upon research it seems that certain ETA blocks have a trigger point on the flywheel and some don't along with the fact that some bellhousings are shorter than others,

Am i totally confused or what?

Thanks in advance.

Here is a photo of what I'm looking to pickup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	199
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	10076815
                sigpic
                1988 E30 M3
                Diamantschwarz/Black

Comment

There's two part numbers for the gearbox regarding bell housing depth. Remedied by ordering a 323 throw out. If that's from an 86, it "should" have a single mass, but the larger version. There are 2 sizes of single mass, then dual mass which only came 87/88. That pic is the size of my thumb on a 32" monitor can't see well, but the large giubo (110mm) is generally an indicator that you have the deep bell housing and dual mass.

That box is the late 1985/6 style that has the mounting points for the late model shifter carrier. Good upgrade. Just make sure you put the two allen head bolts back on the gearbox when you remove the sheet metal shift carrier, or fluid will leak out.

Before you swap the pedal box, examine yours closely. It may contain the captive nuts for the master cylinder screws. If that's the case, you can leave your box in place and just swap the two pedals and hardware.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

Originally posted by Shadye30 View Post

I would like to replace the clutch and pressure plate assembly with a new unit while everything is out and potentially upgrade (?) to a single mass flywheel but upon research it seems that certain ETA blocks have a trigger point on the flywheel and some don't along with the fact that some bellhousings are shorter than others,

Am i totally confused or what?

Yes, you need to stick with the ETA flywheel, all have the trigger points references. It has the pickups for the reference sensors in the bellhousing. My 86 came with a single mass version of the right flywheel. But I cant speak to which eta models have single vs dual mass flywheels.

Comment

Originally posted by jbontke View Post

Yes, you need to stick with the ETA flywheel, all have the trigger points references. It has the pickups for the reference sensors in the bellhousing. My 86 came with a single mass version of the right flywheel. But I cant speak to which eta models have single vs dual mass flywheels.
                      Correct, but there's a way-a-round. For the ETA ECU, you need to use the m20 flywheel due to tooth count (24v and m42 have a different ring gear) as that's what gives engine speed. The single tab for the cylinder identifier can be replicated. Lay the new flywheel on the old one with the big holes lined up and mark the single tooth. Drill/tap and put a ferrous bolt in.

The heavy flywheel can be brought several pounds lighter. The extra mass is on the engine side which can be machined off, and even get very light if you cut it all the way to the ring gear, or the cylinder identifier on ETA.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

Thanks for all of this good information.

I am going to pickup this swap and analyze what I have before moving forward.

I was hoping to order a complete clutch kit with a single mass flywheel beforehand to have everything ready.

Here is a bigger photo attached:

Attached Files
                        sigpic
                        1988 E30 M3
                        Diamantschwarz/Black

Comment

A few more photos
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic
                          1988 E30 M3
                          Diamantschwarz/Black

Comment