Garagistic shifter missing fifth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garagistic shifter missing fifth

I bought an e30 that had the garagistic shifter and dssr installed. The car does not like going into fifth and the shifter itself has a ton of slop in and out of gear. I don't have the stock shifter or selector rod so I was wondering if someone with the garagistic setup could help me eliminate this problem 🙏

Thank you

Have someone move the shifter through its positions while you're under the car looking at the linkage, what does it do? Did you replace the joint or at least the foam piece that goes between it and the ball end of the selector rod? I've found that the replacement shift joints I've purchased over the years didn't come with the foam piece, and I didn't even know it was supposed to be there for some time since it was compacted into the housing in the old ones I removed. Even with all new wear parts and a DSSR these transmissions still seem to have pretty significant play in them. I think it's down to the internal design, maybe the detents.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

Thanks for the advice and quick response I'll post a follow up with pictures when I get a chance to try this out.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
        Have someone move the shifter through its positions while you're under the car looking at the linkage, what does it do? Did you replace the joint or at least the foam piece that goes between it and the ball end of the selector rod? I've found that the replacement shift joints I've purchased over the years didn't come with the foam piece, and I didn't even know it was supposed to be there for some time since it was compacted into the housing in the old ones I removed. Even with all new wear parts and a DSSR these transmissions still seem to have pretty significant play in them. I think it's down to the internal design, maybe the detents.
        I don't really know much about transmissions which is why I'm looking for help on it. I took some video of the linkage in and out of gear. If you could take a look it would be appreciated.

Here's a google drive link with the videos https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...3xHcPNnM95S2q-

Comment

I see significant play between shift rod and selector joint, and selector joint and selector rod (the one that goes into the transmission with the ball on the end). That pin sticking up from the selector joint should be inside it, and the round sheet metal ring retains it. I would use the fact that it's partially exposed to remove and replace that selector joint if it isn't new. Make sure to replace the foam bushing that goes inside it and use the thin yellow washers to take up the play between the shift rod and selector joint. There's lots of info out there on how to rebuild the whole linkage. Replacing the selector joint is the only hard part, it can be a real pain because the new foam bushing makes it hard to push the joint onto the rod, and the pin is a tight fit through the 3 holes it has to pass through. Your super tall chassis mount shifter is going to exacerbate any play in the linkage or transmission, even with 100% of the wear parts replaced with new stuff you may still find the shifter feel is pretty poor.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

Thank you so much varg.

Comment

Yeah, in one video I can see the pin and the retaining collar moving like the joint is working loose. It's going to be a pain but get in there and get that sorted out ASAP. Hopefully you don't have to remove to much to get to it.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
              X