Missing Sensors on Getrag 260?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Sensors on Getrag 260?

I purchased a 1989 325i from a guy who treated it horribly and am now doing a clutch replacement. When dropping the transmission I noticed 2 empty holes on the side of the bell housing that look like they should have sensors. From my research I believe these should be the engine speed and reference mark sensors. I see no cables dangling from the engine bay and cannot find any diagrams or videos online about where to connect these sensors. Should there be sensors in these holes? I have noticed the car seems low on power and am wondering if this could be related to that issue.

Did some further digging in the Bentley manual and found that only 84-87 325e and es models had the testing reference and speed sensors with the 88-90 325i and is models having the testing pulse sensor in the engine bay. Should there be a cover of any kind over the two sensor holes on the transmission? Looks like I’ll have to keep looking for my power loss issue
    Last edited by jnbentley26; 09-05-2023, 10:13 PM.

Comment

No cover- your car has been manual swapped (or someone just replaced a bad trans) and they used a transmission from an early e car.

I've seen folks leave the old sensors bolted in there to seal the holes up. It's not the most elegant solution, but it works.
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by jnbentley26 View Post
        Should there be a cover of any kind over the two sensor holes on the transmission?
        there are blanking plugs available.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
          I've seen folks leave the old sensors bolted in there to seal the holes up. It's not the most elegant solution, but it works.
          That's what I did when I had a G260 in my car.
          I cut the wires off the sensors as well.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
            No cover- your car has been manual swapped (or someone just replaced a bad trans) and they used a transmission from an early e car.

The previous owner definitely poorly swapped it, it’s missing bell housing bolts. I don’t have the sensors to plug the holes, will it cause issues to leave them open? Thanks for the response!

Comment

Originally posted by jnbentley26 View Post
              The previous owner definitely poorly swapped it, it’s missing bell housing bolts. I don’t have the sensors to plug the holes, will it cause issues to leave them open? Thanks for the response!
              Will be fine to leave them open.
              There is technically a chance of foreign objects getting inside the bellhousing, but I've seen plenty of "inspection holes" drilled through and left open.

A lot of older Ducati motorcycles have a dry clutch (like a car) and run open clutch covers without issues.

Comment

I just cut the sensors wires and left in place. BMW lists a plug part p/n 21111225047

Comment

Working...
                X