No announcement yet.

noisy throwout bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's not the throwout bearing. it's the layshaft bearing inside the transmission. doesn't have anything to do with keeping the clutch depressed (while that does wear on the TOB like you said), except it makes the noise go away because it loads the layshaft bearing too.

do a search on "getrag rattle". it's common to any car that uses a getrag and has lots of miles. I've seen some pretty gnarly porsches that sound just like my E30 (rattle rattle rattle rattle).
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Mine makes noise too:hitler:

It's a new Sachs unit and makes nearly as much noise as the one I took out. But I won't be dropping the trans just to do swap it out.
      -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Sorry for reanimating an old thread :)

@Mr.IX
        Does the layshaft bearing (is there any other name for it?) grind under light acceleration?
        Mine does the idle rattle (which goes away after pressing the clutch pedal) and rattles under light acceleration. Additionally, the diff is buzzing too lol.

Comment

I have a frankensteined cluth setup on my stroker. I have e30m3 pressure plate, m50 disk, aluminum flywheel, not sure what t/o bearing I used, but I teally think the stack height is slightly too short compared to stock setup. When my clutch pedal is in relaxed state (verified system is bled) the pedal can be pulled up with your toe, about a quarter to half inch. I tried fluid changes and redlune shockproof yada yada. It rattles at idle until you depress clutch, and the rattle goes away when you push the shifter to any gear without preasing the clutch down.
          Supatek -noun - your basic know it all

Comment

My car has the exact same issue, which sounds exactly like this. I've always been under the impression that it was the TOB, and that the layshaft bearing issue was Getrag rattle, and that it had a different sound.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

After reading different threads about this exact problem, I still couldn't find answer. Everyone says something different. Some call it getrag rattle, some say "throw out bearing or input shaft bearing" and one guy says layshaft bearing. So What is the solution for this annoying problem ?

Just like OP described
              My tranny makes noise only when the car is in neutral and clutch pedal is not pressed in. Even if I press the clutch pedal barely down the noise goes away. I got tired of keeping my feet slightly on clutch pedal. Anybody solved this issues ?

Esquire E30 Build (87 325i Vert)
              Ultimate Tanning Machine

Comment

This is very common it’s not a faulty TOB. Some gearbox oils are better than others than making things quiet and bumping up idle speed helps, a lightweight FW doesn’t help at all.

As far as whether its input or lay shaft I know someone who has the 325is sport CR box sold in Oz and Europe on "special models" the input shaft bearing can’t be replaced as apparently its basically impossible to find one they are a weird beast unique to this box. He had his rebuild and all bearings inc countershaft bearings replaced but input shaft bearing reused and it’s still noisy. This suggests replacing the lay shaft bearings is not the holy grail solution. ive hard you also need new input bearings and add a shim for the layshaft or something

Got another mate with rebuilt G260 standard whos box was quiet as a mouse with light alloy FW going to see what he knows
                Last edited by digger; 12-13-2015, 05:51 PM.
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

heard anything digger? The marbles are embarrassing at stop lights

Comment

Damn, what a revival! I forgot to report, but the car also had a lightened flywheel. I was getting a ton of flywheel chatter
                    -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                    91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                    08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                    04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                    Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                    Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Working...
                    X